Two Questions! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Two Questions! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shower Engineer

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Evening All

I don't work on gas or oil, I live a simple life repairing showers :) so I have a couple of questions:-

1. My nephew has a gas leak on a mild steel pipe buried in a wall. He wants the pipe from meter to boiler renewed as a repair would be difficult. He has a 'mate' who is a gas engineer who can do this for him. This person says he doesn't need to issue any certificate after completing the work, is that correct? He says certificates only need to be issued after fitting new boilers and annual servicing. If he is correct then all is good if not I will advise my nephew to find someone new.

2. On my own house I have a grant Vortex oil boiler. At the last service a NTCS was noted as the flexible oil line extended outside the boiler casing. Should this be altered? Am I correct in thinking that the flexi should be renewed every few years? This is nearly four years old so pipe could be altered and flexi contained within boiler if required. I can get the OFTEC chap who services it (he was not the installer) to do this when he services it in November if it is necessary. I have put a photo of the current setup below.

Thanks for any advice you can give,

Dave

2014-09-22 17.34.34.jpg

Hi there not sure about your gas problem but flexis must only be used within boiler casing with copper outside do you have a firevalve fitted cant see any remote capillary pipe..brum

if youre nephew wants proof that the new gas work is ok, get the installer to write it up on the invoice, and include the comment " tightness test passed, no drop in pressure over 2 minutes", simple really. Hopefully the installer will have done this anyhow iaw the rules

Hi there Dave , in regards to your nephew , im based in scotland and only new installs require notification, although i dont notify standard gas work i issue gas certificates and documentation with everything i do and it keeps my arse covered incase some diy donk comes behind me and does anything, your nephews what i would do is do the work and do a tightness test with my machine and leave a printout of results, but i think all gas work in england is notifiable ( i think )

Regards to oil, let your offtec guy take everything up to spec, brums right i cant see a fire valve either , the copper tail and cappilary usually comes in with the oil pipe but it is possible it came in a different route,

Thanks for the replies.
Seems strange that the gas work doesn't need certifying but if that's the rules then that is fine. As for the oil boiler there is a fire valve but it comes out of the top side of the casing. I'll get the OFTEC chap to alter the supply when he services it in November.
Thanks again,
Dave

It is best practice to leave some sort of form when working on gas I leave a service/maintenance sheet.

I was taught the oil hose should be replaced every service unless it is a long life hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
Is your boiler the 'Ideal Logic Heat 12' (i.e...
Replies
Views
Unfortunately the fitting of a new Venturi did...
Replies
Views
Back