Two rads, one supply - theory vs reality | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Two rads, one supply - theory vs reality in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ghandi

Morning all,

New member here, so hi and thanks for taking the time to read this.

I'm replacing an old undersized rad connected by 15mm copper to the 22mm flow/return on my system.

I need to install 10k BTU/3kW but wall space means this will have to be in two rads, one at each side of the room.

I wonder if I can take the original 15mm from the old rad and tee it to supply both new rads in parallel.

Theory says that the 15mm will have enough in it to supply both new rads, but has anyone done this in reality and is it satisfactory?

I'm willing to tee both into the flow/rtn if needs be, but happy to save myself time and fittings if it's not necessary.

I would welcome anyone's opinions on this.

Many thanks

!5mm will be ok up to 5Kw. Convenience and neat finish being a consideration,and as you rightly say,in parallel,not in series.

I have don't think they look too bad tbh (I like the look)

image.jpg

But you need to connect them at both ports I used some chrome pipe and 4 1/2 - 15mm chrome male irons

Thanks for the replies. Can't do as the pic because they are going to be at opposite sides of the room. They will have to be two stand alone rads with separate trvs. Will this cause a problem?

Thanks for the replies. Can't do as the pic because they are going to be at opposite sides of the room. They will have to be two stand alone rads with separate trvs. Will this cause a problem?

Need to t off before the trv but don't see why not, they will require balancing like any rad

Will the rads being a difference distance from the flow/rtn make any difference? Should I aim to get the 15mm to each rad a similar length or will this be accounted for in the balancing?

Will the rads being a difference distance from the flow/rtn make any difference? Should I aim to get the 15mm to each rad a similar length or will this be accounted for in the balancing?

no will be fine just balancing

Ok, so after removing some lagging I find that the original rad is tee'd off the flow with 5' of 22mm and this then reduces to 15mm for the remaining 11' to the rad. If I still want to install two rads should I...

A) tee the 15mm at the end
B) have a second 15mm teed off the 5' of 22mm
C) do it properly and go right back to the main flow

If it's answer C, would I need a length of 22mm before reducing to 15mm

Ok, so after removing some lagging I find that the original rad is tee'd off the flow with 5' of 22mm and this then reduces to 15mm for the remaining 11' to the rad. If I still want to install two rads should I...

A) tee the 15mm at the end
B) have a second 15mm teed off the 5' of 22mm
C) do it properly and go right back to the main flow

If it's answer C, would I need a length of 22mm before reducing to 15mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You seem to have got it sorted, but for future...
Replies
Views
Below is a sizing chart based on a heat loss...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the advice, I wasn’t sure if the...
Replies
Views
I keep 10mm pipe to a minimum (just down wall)...
Replies
Views
Thanks, I shall take a look in that case and...
Replies
Views
Back