underfloor heating not working upstairs | Air Sourced Heat Pumps | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss underfloor heating not working upstairs in the Air Sourced Heat Pumps area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maria_oichen

Underfloor heating not working upstairs, it's fine downstairs.
-pressure gauges stay at 40
-pump working
-tried restarting by pressing button on limit thermostat, but it still doesn't work

any ideas to what the problem is?

What sort of UF system is it? Does each manifold have its own pump? If there's just the one manifold doing upstairs could it be power supply/fuse on manifold control board? More info please.

Has it ever worked or has it just recently stopped working???? Reason I'm asking if new is to ascertain if it's been installed properly??

Welcome along to the forum.

Probably mixing valve full of crud! Contra flow pipe system is probably about 10-15 years old. Horrible pipe, with no oxygen layer.

Yes,this is the system, but we can't get hold of the manufacturer anymore. What is u/s? How can I check if the valve is stuck?
Thanks for your help

Here is a pic of manifold

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited by a moderator:
No mixing valve fitted.!!! Must heat the floor very hot!

Make sure everthing on the system is calling for heat then On the motorised valve to the left of the manifold, there will be a manual lever. Try moving that. If that works, you need a new motorised valve

There is not one in that picture. Try moving the lever anyway. You really need an engineer to look at your system as the safety valve has been capped off.

The TMV is in the correct place for a set up like this.
With a plate separating the two systems the ufh loop side should be clean as a whistle.

The TMV is in the correct place for a set up like this.
With a plate separating the two systems the ufh loop side should be clean as a whistle.

Well spotted!
I presumed that the plate was for hot water :32: so all the system is temperature controlled by the one tmv?
Problem will be motorised vslve then if all else is ok.

I moved the lever and it works...so do you guys think it's the motorised valve? That was last replaced about 6 years ago. How can I tell of that's the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
I moved the lever and it works...so do you guys think it's the motorised valve? That was last replaced about 6 years ago. How can I tell of that's the problem?
Most likely would be the motorised valve head, but. Could be the valve body. These can go stiff and burn out a new motor.
Firstly it needs checking to see if power is getting to the valve, then if it switching a live back to the pump. If all this is fine, it will need a new complete valve. If possible change it for a better manufacturer like Honeywell.

Yes,this is the system, but we can't get hold of the manufacturer anymore. What is u/s? How can I check if the valve is stuck?
Thanks for your help

Manufacturer went bust some years ago I think. Looks like the problem is in the zone valve but as suggested see if it's actually getting a supply on to motor it open before replacing, could be lack of supply from the timeswitch or thermostat or whatever is controlling it.

Kee triple tube started up in the eighties. Know a bloke with this stuff fitted in his home and has gave him a lot of trouble. They soon went bust but not before leaving a trail of dodgy installations in their wake.

The plate heat exchanger in that arrangement with a tmv was a good design though. Especially if you wanted system separation.

Kee triple tube started up in the eighties. Know a bloke with this stuff fitted in his home and has gave him a lot of trouble. They soon went bust but not before leaving a trail of dodgy installations in their wake.

The plate heat exchanger in that arrangement with a tmv was a good design though. Especially if you wanted system separation.

And also it gave a first stage of temperature drop across the plate which could be as high as 10c.

Due to the crappy pipe they used.

And also it gave a first stage of temperature drop across the plate which could be as high as 10c.

Thanks guys! I thinks it is a faulty motorised valve if I keep it on menual, heat going through. As soon as I turn it back to auto the heat stop. Will order one it's was a Honeywell one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Definitely sounds like a wiring issue. as...
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
You should have not touched the lockshields...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Seems odd, if you have a wireless thermostat...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Red circles show my new AAVs and the manual...
Replies
Views
  • Question
we have 2 separate valves and they both open...
Replies
Views
Back