Undersized gas pipework | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Undersized gas pipework in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

darren bastin

Gas Engineer
Hi. I was horrified to come across an installation where two 28 combis and a 15kw cooker are fed off 22mm pipework all, the way from the meter. One of the combis and the cooker are within 3 meters of the gas meter. The other is some 35 meters away and has 22mm copper to it. Needless to say there is a problem.
My question is this . Am I correct in thinking that taking variation factors into account a domestic meter can cope with 71 kw ? and that the pressure loss if the last leg of the carcass was taken in 28 would be (effective length 39.5m ) less than 1 mb. I have to give a quote to replace the gas pipework and plan to use 35mm to the second t . Any advice would be appreciated, apologies for being a bit flakey on my maths.

What is the pressure at the meter when all appliances are running? If it is a u6 metre then it's max capacity is 6m3. Probably could do with a u16 in. Why are there 2 combi's in the same house

if all appliances were on full rate it would need just under 243 cubic feet the u6 will probably just about do that but should really have a U16. and uprated supplies each boiler taken from the meter and also supply to cooker.

You commercial gas reg ?

No I am not commercial registered. i think as a domestic gas fitter we can use 35mm, i have it in the back of my mind that purge volumes come into play. There are two combis as one does half the heating plus a cloakroom hot. The problem has not come to light as the hot water usage on the far boiler is minimal, but there is a problem.
The demand on the meter with everything running at max gas rate would be 6.6m3hr, however in practice this does not happen.The inference from one of the replies is that i would need to have the commercial ticket? if so it will save me time number crunching.

The working pressure remains stable at the meter at 20 mb with everything on. The fact that the far combi does not work under this scenario (on hot water, does on heating) is the issue.i

well work out your purging volumes if over .035 you need your commercial

The working pressure remains stable at the meter at 20 mb with everything on. The fact that the far combi does not work under this scenario (on hot water, does on heating) is the issue.i

but whats your pressure loss from the meter to the appliance ?

With nothing else running it 13mb at the far boiler at max rate. With everything running it goes to lock out !!

too much max its allowed 1.5 mbar drop so 18.5mbar with everything rubbing etc

Yes mate. Its a mess. i am now having to do all sorts of maths just to see if I can do the job. Purge vol .03217 assuming 2m 35, 1m 0f 22m and 39.5 m of 28. just got to crunch the pressure loss now. This has turned into a revision excercise

Golden rule is much more than a metre of 35mm and your munching on commercial territory door. But calculate volume of pipework as you have done is the best way and u can see ur mighty close. Anything over 0.035m3 us commercial spec.

Your defiantly right in saying that it needs uprating, questions is will the new pipework fall into the commercial category because of its size..

run a 2nd 22mm gas pipe alongside the original and tee back in by the boiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

On the basis that one opinion is good but two...
Replies
Views
The OP has a regular heat only boiler/system...
Replies
Views
Need to get someone out to calc what your...
Replies
Views
Thanks guys, I'm not worrying over nothing then!
Replies
Views
L
Replies
Views
Back