Understanding how a 3 port valve works | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Understanding how a 3 port valve works in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

G

gemma_p

Can anyone explain how they work in simple terms I'm so confused about them

What is port a
What is port b
Is port ab the inlet

Thanks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk

Thanks

So water to b goes to cylinder and a goes away when I ask at work people say I confuse them

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk

Hot water from boiler goes into AB, and then it either goes to A (heating), or B (to heat the hot water) or both (for hot water and heating).
A ball in the valve can move left, right or sit in the middle. Thereby closing port A, closing port B or in the middle, leaving both A and B open.

About a year ago I did a write-up of the "Y" plan with a lot of detail regarding the operation of the 3-way valve. It may help some students (it may also confuse others!!) but I haven't had it scrutinised for errors or possible misconceptions. It includes fault-finding but is too long to paste, so can email to anyone who would like a copy as I would appreciate feed-back. You can ask me directly on [email protected]

Similar plumbing topics

Air locked air is a pain sometimes just need...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
200% won’t be the reason the cylinder isn’t...
Replies
Views
  • Question
6 years old. Never a problem until it sprung a...
Replies
Views
Back