Unexplained sound of water | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Unexplained sound of water in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Changing a ball-valve earlier today. While in loft could hear water running - sounded quite near - and I could hear it sort of through the tank (i.e. it wasn't running out of tank, the water level remained static and the tank was isolated and no taps were on - but the sound seemed to be almost conducted towards me through the tank - or through the f+e right next to it.) I thought initially someone running a kitchen tap on mains or something (CWSC was isolated at cistern itself, not at stopcock)

But after coming back down from loft, no sound. No sound in airing cupboard. Not anywhere. No toilets filling, no taps going. No sprinkler or gardens taps going. Back in the loft, put head near tank, sound of running water. Not dripping, actually running. Like as if you were listening to a tank emptying through a tap. Again, levels in both tanks static.

House is semi-detatched but tanks are on non-attatched side of loft.

I didn't say anything because I didn't know what to suggest. Puzzled.

I was changing a ballvalve once (well just servicing one) and the water was off but when I came back down the loft ladder I heard water like a bath running. I stood on the landing and pondered for a moment and then peered round one of the bedroom doors as I knew no one was upstairs.

It was a fish tank with a filter!

I was changing a ballvalve once (well just servicing one) and the water was off but when I came back down the loft ladder I heard water like a bath running. I stood on the landing and pondered for a moment and then peered round one of the bedroom doors as I knew no one was upstairs.

It's moments like this when you know your heart works alright :smug2:

Well I'm no longer at the job. If there's a big leak presumably they'll notice. I couldn't see anything. I'm half wondering whether the sound of wind travelling up the warning pipe to the CWSC might have sounded like running water? I now your ears can play tricks on you but it did really sound like fast running water. So fast that the fact I couldn't hear anything anywhere else led me to believe it was some sort of auditory illusion produced by something either next door, outside or nothing to do with water.

And yeah I've been had by a fish tank before and air fresheners which automatically go "pfffffff." And any number of other things.

They might have used a WC without you noticing and some take ages to re-fill.

whats else has others been 'had' by?

iv been had by a telly left on static before!

only happen once as i feel im ready for it now but now its digital almost every where you dont get static like you used to

Dog urinating on a wall outside while I was just the other side fixing a leak.

Edit: That automatic censoring is brilliant!

Last edited by a moderator:
I once put my drill down (when drill bit was hot) then kicked it with foot so drill bit unknowingly rested on a damp rag. Pfffffft!
What...?!?! Where's that coming...?!?! Argh you little....

I much prefer to hear a noise.

So when working with other tradesmen; I'd much prefer to hear a fart (especially in the early morning) then I know to hold my breath in advance of the invisible gas wafting towards me ...

I was had by an immersion heater coming on.

I was working on a cylinder with two shower take off's on the top that went straight into passing gate valves, gently gently as not to buckle/tear the cylinder I turned the nut, I could feel the copper moving as I put pressure on the nut and then it suddenly came free flexing the cylinder as it went, at that precise moment the immersion kicked in and made that hissing sound like water rushing.

Scared the life out of me, I genuinly though I'd ripped the boss off even knowing I'd bunged the tank.

Last edited:
Changing a ball-valve earlier today. While in loft could hear water running - sounded quite near - and I could hear it sort of through the tank (i.e. it wasn't running out of tank, the water level remained static and the tank was isolated and no taps were on - but the sound seemed to be almost conducted towards me through the tank - or through the f+e right next to it.) I thought initially someone running a kitchen tap on mains or something (CWSC was isolated at cistern itself, not at stopcock)

But after coming back down from loft, no sound. No sound in airing cupboard. Not anywhere. No toilets filling, no taps going. No sprinkler or gardens taps going. Back in the loft, put head near tank, sound of running water. Not dripping, actually running. Like as if you were listening to a tank emptying through a tap. Again, levels in both tanks static.

wasnt raining was it?.

you should always drain fish tanks to be on the safe side

was somebody having a tinkle?

got to agree with all above its amazing how many things sound like a leak and its always just as your going out the door

i once renewed a mains in a factory, when i switched it on i could here water trickling/running from somewhere. searched and checked the pipe constantly for nearly an hour and half, even had a lad who worked there searching for it. found out it was water running through the guttering as snow and ice melted of the roof, felt like a right numpty lol. it must of been doing it when i was working but you dont hear noises like that until you are checking your work.

got had only yesterday. heard this odd noise that sounded a bit like water running after i had changed all the rad valves and gate valves in the airing cupboard. rushed downstairs turned out it was the customer writing. Amazing how paranoid we all are of that sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks for the tip. I have an outside tap so...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A competent plumber will have the kit and...
Replies
Views
Yep, that's what I meant (as per attached...
Replies
Views
Just a guess, but you may find that the...
Replies
Views
https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/files/pdf/pdf303...
Replies
Views
Back