Unflushable toilet...Help!!! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Unflushable toilet...Help!!! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rachael

Hi Everyone,

I dread needing the toilet because of this problem! The cistern isn't filling up, the water just runs straight through into the bowl. It has got to the point now where I have had to tie up the arm of the float to stop the water running, and I have to take off the lid and cover up the hole with my hand to let the tank fill up to flush. I have looked on some DIY store websites, but don't really know what I'm looking for!!

I could cry!!! :'-(

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance...

Rachael

best you get a plumber in, it sounds like you could come unstuck if you try to fix it yourself.
No offence, just an opinion

needs new syphon - phone a plumber simple job for him - probably no more than 60 pounds for parts and a hours labour and of course piece of mind its done properly

Sounds like the syphon's given up the ghost. It's possible to do yourself but easier to get the plumber in as sometimes it means taking the WC to pieces. Be prepared for grumpy plumber at the end though if it goes badly - sometimes it does and it's maddening to repair. Hopefully from reading this you'll realise it's not a five minute repair!

Bet it's a push-button syphon yeah? Regular ones don't seem to do this. Or not so far in my limited experience.

You need to isolate the supply, know how to do this if there's no isolation, disconnect the inlet connection, disconnect any overflow connection, remove potentially rusty and stubborn screws, dismantle the toilet, replace any badly corroded close-coupling bits, either fit a new syphon - both knowing the tricks to make it seal if necessary and also which one to choose, or repair/clean washer of original, rebuild the toilet, remake the inlet connection, watch it leak, know how to sort it or re-pipe it, reconnect overflow connection (remembering to test it works later,) re-fill the toilet, adjust the syphon if necessary, test it and start over again if it leaks.

Or....find £60-90 and call a plumber. £90 should be top-end, south east and london. And it's not so much really when you consider work and parts needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You have a partial blockage downstream of the...
Replies
Views
You have a blockage somewhere. Time to call...
Replies
Views
Hello! I was checking something in the toilet...
Replies
Views
Hi, could you post a picture of the whole WC...
Replies
Views
I would cut it to the right size and glue the...
Replies
Views
Back