Unusual float valve in cistern | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Unusual float valve in cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHPES

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
This float valve is in the cistern at the hotel I mentioned on my previous post. Not come across one of these before. I presume unfastening the bolts on the flange give you access to the washer and piston. Anyone worked on one before? I am told the work dated from the 1950s or 1960s. The valve has been brought up about 4 inches from the inlet to ensure that the valve outlet is above the level of the overflow to avoid water being drawn from the tank back into the supply.

Attachments

• valve.jpg
    valve.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
It looks like an equilibrium

I would replace that one with another new equilibrium,
it was probably used as a means to combat water hammer

Last edited by a moderator:
i would undo the iron pipe out of the elbow put a copper to iron in that little bit of copper then put a 3/4 bent copper to iron on to a equilibrium ballvalve i probs wouldnt mess about with it

It looks like an equilibrium

I would replace that one with another new equilibrium,
it was probably used as a means to combat water hammer

Yes, of course it is (not seen one since my training days) why didn't I think of that. The plumbing is getting on now, as it must be at least 40 years old, so I am planning to replace the cistern and all the fittings (Braithwaite cistern would appear to be the best option). Would be nice to keep the old valve for my collection of oddball items!

The valve is actually working perfectly so I wouldn't touch it at the moment (the debris is from what another contractor knocked into the tank whilst I had the lid off). It is connected via 2" screwed iron pipework. I am planning to repipe everything in plastic.

Last edited:
This float valve is in the cistern at the hotel I mentioned on my previous post. Not come across one of these before. I presume unfastening the bolts on the flange give you access to the washer and piston. Anyone worked on one before? I am told the work dated from the 1950s or 1960s. The valve has been brought up about 4 inches from the inlet to ensure that the valve outlet is above the level of the overflow to avoid water being drawn from the tank back into the supply.
definately a equilibreim ballvalve best to replace it asi doubt uou eill get washer for it

What sort of washer will it have? - can I not make one using rubber gasket material and wad punches? I usually make my own flat rubber washers where possible to save chasing for parts and paying rip-off prices.

2" equilibrium valves are very expensive (seem to be about £400 plus) so I will be trying to reuse it if at all possible.

Last edited:
If you want to make your own washers the big problem would be sourcing the best
material to use,

These washers have a hole through the middle.

I recon you would be looking at £100.00 for a new 2" equilibrium BV

I have plenty of different thicknesses and hardnesses of rubber gasket material. For large bore pipes and joints, often the only option is to make your own so I am used to doing so.

Looked on google just now and the cheapest seems to be about £400

I have plenty of different thicknesses and hardnesses of rubber gasket material. For large bore pipes and joints, often the only option is to make your own so I am used to doing so.

Looked on google just now and the cheapest seems to be about £400
one washer is a cup with hole in you may find you can get washers from bss or similar
didnt realise it was that big when i posted last

The hotel manager is on a pretty tight budget so if I can save him money I'm looking at loads of work there in the future. There's 18 en-suites plus ladies, gents, kitchens and bar. I'm already looking after his sizeable oil boiler and water supply (fed from a spring).

The work would all have to be done in a weeks window at the end of January when the hotel is closed for redecoration.

Last edited:
Hi As well as combating water hammer, these valves pass a far greater volume than a standard 1212. I you are concidering a braithwait cistern think about fitting a safe under it, as you may get a drip or two after assembling. Which can nip up. It could be as simple as a bit of polythene sheet. Good Luck

I would make sure the seating is okay first, before I made any washers. 40 years for a brass ball valve is a long time.

Obviously plenty of iron in the water, assume at one time the pipe was galvanised but it seems to be pitting now and rusting.

The white could be a sign of the brass breaking down through dezincification. So its worth a good look before washering.

I've seen brass like that go brittle and snap like a carrot sometimes,if you try to handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks - I've reseated the bellows and problem...
Replies
Views
N
I found out from research before hand that the...
Replies
Views
N
S
hi mate - this is an interesting situation...
Replies
Views
moore
M
good result - glad you got it sorted
Replies
Views
O
Replies
Views
Ontheball
O