Unvented cylinder quandary. | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Unvented cylinder quandary. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gingerbread Man

A friend has recently moved into a house which has no central heating and a combination cylinder for the hot water. They have gas, so a gas boiler is on the cards. They currently have no water tanks in their loft and I ideally wanted to keep it that way.

My plan was for a system boiler and unvented cylinder setup. The boiler being sited in the kitchen and the cylinder slap bang above the boiler in an airing cupboard upstairs where the current combination cylinder sits.

Today I went around and repaired a leak on their incoming water mains. Their incoming main from outside is in lead with an ID of roughly 1/2". Anyhow, their pressure (measured at roughly Saturday 4pm) was 3 bar static at the outside tap. The flow rate was 18L/min. This is on a spur from the stopcock of maybe 8 meters of 15mm. In the midst of chatting and faffing around, I forgot to measure the pressure with an outlet open.

Right, so unvented cylinders want around 25L/min. I'm at a quandary as to what to do...

It's a 3 bedroom house, (1 being used as a study) with a couple living in it. Upstairs they have a bathroom and are thinking of adding a separate shower cubicle, but either way there will be a shower one way or another, over the bath or stand alone.

Downstairs they have a wetroom WC. We were planning to rip out the current electric shower down there and make it a bit nicer in there. But that won't be done for a year or so.

He had a quote of £600 to install a new water main from the boundary stopcock in 25mm MDPE, and then the water board would upgrade their (assumed lead) bit for free. He plans to do this upgrade for the advantage of a better water flow and to remove the lead aspect. But as it currently is, he would rather spend the £600 currently on an unvented cylinder and get that gig going to solve the below issue....

Currently they have no decent usable shower, so constantly use the bath. The bath taps are unbalanced supplies, so trying to use a shower attachment results in the cold overpowering the hot and it being a feeble attempt. This then leads to a jug being used to wash their hair, which they're sick to wits end of!

So how to play it?

1. Install the unvented cylinder for them running a 22mm feed right up to the cylinder as planned. Install a shower for them so they can be at peace and have an easier life. Anything will be heaps better than their current setup and will work, especially as they've currently only the one shower on the go.
Then let him upgrade the mains in due course where they can tag onto my ready and waiting 22mm water feed so they can have the full experience with better litres per minute.

2. Insist that they upgrade the water main first. He does know it'll need doing, so it'll be done for option 1 either way. Then retest and rethink the options.

3. He mentioned maybe having a combination boiler. I explained the bad route of this due to the (on paper) 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom household. So this isn't really an option.

Look at putting low pressure tanks in the loft and having a low pressure system and shower pumps. The cost of pumps will be similar to upgrading the main, but they bring noise with their use. I also hoped to not have to put anything into the loft.

Over to you guys.

I'd go for the water main upgrade first to ensure the flow rates are going to be enough. If he is happy to do some digging it could be put in for a lot less than £600.

I'd go for the water main upgrade first to ensure the flow rates are going to be enough. If he is happy to do some digging it could be put in for a lot less than £600.

The main will be moled due to the drive being block paved, so he'd rather pay the cost of this than the hassle of having to take up the drive. The other trench needed to start the mole off will be in the pavement, so not really his area to touch.

If it was a bit of lawn, we'd have had it up.

As an aside, if the upgraded water main didn't prove to be as good as hoped, would you scrap the unvented cylinder plan? I figured that it would still be better than a Combi. Or would you go down the low pressure route and start piping into the loft?

If mains not upto it consider a alpha flowsmart combi and store combination has great performance on the dhw which rivals 200 litre unventeds.

As above, get the mains sorted first - that will change everything. Also you dont really want to stick a new system in and then the water board flood all sorts of rubbish through it when they change it in the future.
Youll want to run a 22mm to the unvented too if getting a new mains (running an unvented on an old 1/2 inch will be very dissapointing in performance).

As above, get the mains sorted first - that will change everything. Also you dont really want to stick a new system in and then the water board flood all sorts of rubbish through it when they change it in the future.
Youll want to run a 22mm to the unvented too if getting a new mains (running an unvented on an old 1/2 inch will be very dissapointing in performance).

No no no, I will be upping the feed to the cylinder to 22mm as I think I stated above, but maybe it got lost in the text. I've no problem with that.

I had planned a 150 or 180L cylinder. Only ~£26 difference, so I might go with the 180L to cover all bases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ya, they said the fact the anti-vibration...
Replies
Views
P
Hi All, I have recently changed heating...
Replies
Views
Peter M
P
S
  • Question
Many thanks, Ben-gee - that's very useful...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
  • Question
are you saying they could have come off the...
Replies
Views
Back