Unvented cylinder recommendations? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Unvented cylinder recommendations? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DesDixon

Have 2m height and require a 500L unvented cylinder. Most will be just under this height so probably best if I go for a horizontal so it's not too tight.

Question is, is there an unvented cylinder with solar (future proof if I install solar), indirect (heated by gas boiler), horizontal and 500L?

Wow that's a lot more expensive than other horizontals (non solar)!

Are Joule any good though?

Wow that's a lot more expensive than other horizontals (non solar)!

Are Joule any good though?

what were you looking at before?

and yes very good

I was looking at a Telford Tempest originally.

7 bed house (up to 20 rads inc towel rails), 4 gas showers, 1 bath.

how many bathroom?

OSO are great.. I have one with 2 coils, one for solar but I have piped them in series to give faster recovery..

Have 2m height and require a 500L unvented cylinder. Most will be just under this height so probably best if I go for a horizontal so it's not too tight.

Why horizontal? Horizontal cylinders are fundamentally less efficient, and are necessarily more expensive, as it requires more metal to contain the same amount of water.

You can get a 500 litre RM calorifier at 1830mm. I'm sure they will put a second coil in it for you, (which is an excellent idea incidentally) which may reduce the capacity to 490lts. Thats plenty of clearance, a much more efficient unit, a lower price - whats not to like?

Why not fit 2 smaller unvented cylinders if your worried about the height?

I would also check the joists as 500 ltr of water is very heavy!!

Well, I've re-measured and have 2000mm height and typical 500L cylinders are circa 1835. How much clearance would I need above?

I suppose two 250s is an idea.

Well, I've re-measured and have 2000mm height and typical 500L cylinders are circa 1835. How much clearance would I need above?

I suppose two 250s is an idea.

where are you thinking about putting them? as a stnd loft isnt suitable without major work

I think 500L storage is overkill, unless all showers & bath are going to be used at the same time & then again straight after i.e. 7 bed rooms are in full occupancy all the time & everyone is hitting the showers in the morning. (unless you had to install a horizontal).
All the modern cylinders will recover in around 30mins it makes much more sense to recover the hot water rather store it.

I would go back to the drawing board. Shouldn't need that much storage, get I high recovery cylinder on a priority hot water system.

Fair points which I am considering. I think I can get a 400L in there comfortably but what cylinders have 'high recovery'?

Fair points which I am considering. I think I can get a 400L in there comfortably but what cylinders have 'high recovery'?
Any of em if you use the solar coil as a primary circuit as well [emoji6]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

P
Hi All, I have recently changed heating...
Replies
Views
Peter M
P
  • Question
Plate load it then and use the 500l cylinder...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
Many thanks, Ben-gee - that's very useful...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
  • Question
Having a Viessmann 100W using the 4 pipe...
Replies
Views
Back