Unvented cylinder vs thermal store (1 floor flat, no gas/renewables, soft water) | Renewables | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Unvented cylinder vs thermal store (1 floor flat, no gas/renewables, soft water) in the Renewables area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

conrad

Hi,
I'm in a one-floor flat, currently with a cold water tank about 4 foot above floor level and an electric immersion tank underneath it at floor level (no gas, Economy 10 electricity). This obviously is a disaster for anything except a bath: there's a shower hose attached to the bath taps, but you can't stand up and get hot water. I'm looking at re-engineering the hot water system. The two options appear to be an unvented hot water cylinder and a thermal store (both electric: again, there's no gas here). The cold water pressure is good I think: don't know how to measure it, but I get 40 litres a minute out of the cold tap. The local water (Edinburgh) is probably the softest you can get. The building is listed, converted to "modern" habitation in the 70s, and as far as I can tell has plastic stacks, which is a bit of an issue re: unvented system --- my understanding is that I need metal pipes to ground level for that. It's not impossible: while replacing the interior drain might be unfeasible, there's a plastic drainpipe from the gutters just outside the bathroom which I might be able to replace with cast iron.
So my question is, what are the considerations between an unvented system and a thermal store? Looking at the specs for thermal stores, I typically see "limit 20 litres per minute", much lower than my cold tap; also it seems to me that where with a hot water cylinder that you draw from directly, you'd expect that until the cylinder runs out of hot water you'll get just hot water. However with a thermal store you'll be reducing its temperature all the time you use it, so its output water will get steadily cooler with use --- a bit like the difference between certain kinds of rechargeable battery: sudden death vs gradual decay. I think I prefer the idea of a shower which works well until it doesn't, to the idea of one which gets steadily worse from the moment you start using it. That said, the annual maintenance cost associated with unvented seems a fairly big negative. Anybody in a position to compare and contrast from personal experience?
Conrad

What makes you think the stacks will be a problem with and unvented cylinder?

What makes you think the stacks will be a problem with and unvented cylinder?

My understanding from reading some unvented cylinder installation manuals is that you need metal to ground level for something to do with overflow. Plastic is apparently A Bad Thing unless it's got certain BS kitemarks (and I'm betting that this 1973 conversion doesn't have them). The various professionals I've spoken to so far don't seem to have done a lot of unvented/thermal store installs: they know enough to say that unvented will be tough. So I'm looking for actual experience of the two to see whether it's worth fighting to get unvented.

Conrad

unvented direct is your option and talk to a qualified installer about venting pipework as a little knowledge is dangerous. just keep things simple and sweet

unvented direct is your option and talk to a qualified installer about venting pipework as a little knowledge is dangerous. just keep things simple and sweet

So I certainly agree that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing :) But if I'm gonna fight to get an unvented install instead of the easy thermal store option, I'd like concrete reasons why unvented is better..?

Conrad

less to go wrong ie you heat water directly, no mixer valves to be balanced/go wrong and why heat water directly with electricity and then use that water to heat more water wheres the efficiency. thermal stores are brilliant when combined with a solar panel setup and heating water for free. talk to a plumber if you dont believe me

Direct unvented vessel sounds like a good option. I think your main worry was with the discharge pipe which must with stand high temperture. A properly qualified G3 installer should be able to give you best advice for your application.

An unvented will give you the best possible flow rates and will probably give you no problems if you get it serviced annually as you should. A lot of unvented cylinders come with 25 yer guarantees on the cylinder now so long as you do have it annually serviced. Thermal stores have their advantages too though, they cornered the market in flats without gas because there's no need for a discharge pipe. Had you considered using an electric boiler with an unvented cylinder then you could install central heating with it too if you wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thermal will give you more heat per sq m of...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Lower running costs for one ,size it for the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ya, they said the fact the anti-vibration...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
Many thanks, Ben-gee - that's very useful...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Back