Update of what I have been doing and a couple of questions. | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Update of what I have been doing and a couple of questions. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hello everyone it's been a while since I posted although I have been regularly visiting the forum and trying to soak up some info.

I now have approx 3 weeks left in the army. I have managed to complete my Part P during the last couple of months and I have still been working weekends with the plumber locally to me. (I haven't been out the last 2 weekends as he didn't have anything on one weekend and the weekend just gone it was my gf's birthday so thought it was wise to take a weekend off!).

The latest development is that I have a weeks unpaid trial with a firm in October. They said they are looking for someone who have the qualifications but lack the experience due to being in the forces. Ideal for me. I really hope I get it and this is a golden opportunity and I don't want to leave anything to chance. They are aware that I have been working weekends and they want to see enthusiasm and a willingness to learn which I'm sure I can show. I know that I have previously stated that I would be going self employed but it is not very realistic and I would rather work for a company I just didn't see any other option as I didn't think anyone would be willing to give me a chance with no experience.

I will be turning up in work trousers, polo shirt and safety boots when I arrive for the trial as I want to appear professional straight away. I have some research to do on the company and other aspects of the trade they cover so that when speaking to the boss I can come across as serious about working for them. What, if any advice can anyone offer me?

Also I will be taking my own tools as instructed, I have been told not to worry about drills etc and just to take 'every day' tools.

This is what I carry when I go out weekends:

electrical screwdrivers - various sizes
chisels x 2
pipe cutters
pencils
stanley knife
long screwdrivers - pozi and flat
jr hacksaw
small level
small/medium grips
stopwatch
various adjustables (do need to purchase a new 6")
hammer
wire cutters
safety goggles
pliers
safety gloves
tap spanner
stubbys - 1 flat and 1 poz
tape measure
wire wool
PTFE

I also carry a small bag with my corgi gas book, and various gas related items (smoke pellets/matches, ID tape, socket and see, compressed air, LDF) Obviously not being gas safe I have been taking these items just to get used to having them with me.

I have probably missed something but is there anything else that I should take? Obviously I am limited to what I can carry in a tool tray.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
And a lunch box
Ash I'm sure you will get on great from what I have read from your posts you have an Excellent work ethic any company would be mad not to take you on

And a lunch box
Ash I'm sure you will get on great from what I have read from your posts you have an Excellent work ethic any company would be mad not to take you on

Thanks. I'll have to go in with confidence and not worry too much about my lack of experience.

dump the wire wool, and use the strips, wire wool leaves bits in the pipe and fittings (and if thats all i can get you on then you are doing fine haha)
as others have said you are a good example of how things can and should be done, i honestly wish you all the success

You sound well organised and willing to learn, that and your past experience of working in a disciplined environment should stand you in good stead.

Good luck with the work trial.

Sounds like it's all going well Ash. As people have said, you've done all the right things and have your head screwed on right so I'm sure it will go fine. Good luck.

Head torch perhaps.
Good luck mate, fingers crossed it works out well for you !

Sounds like you've sorted yourself a good starter kit, I wouldn't buy anything else just yet. Wait until you need it and then buy it. Chances are the plumber you go out with will tell you to leave your tools in the van and use his... You'll soon pick up what you need more frequently. Good luck I hope you get the job!!

Voltage test screwdriver.

Good luck! You won't need it with your attitude.

What a terrific attitude! Many can learn from you.

Not in your toolbox, but take a change of clothing, always appear as smartly dressed as you can and always try to be polite, friendly and positive when dealing with customers. If you are positive then customers feel confident in your abilities and this is very important to them due to the bad press plumbers get through programmes like Rogue Traders etc.

Oh a decent dust mask that is personal to you and can be filled with disposable catridges. Company should supply this as part of your P.P.E

Err! Flask of tea? Get a stainless steel one the other sort are easily broken. But don't make it too obvious that you will be drinking tea they may think that is all you do. If the lads are decent they will sort you out anyway its just like an army in the building.

Best of luck armyash - hope it goes well for you.
Have a question ready - just in case they ask if you want to know anything.

Thank you all for the encouragement and kind words. Fingers crossed! :)

remember to take a few quid to work on a friday for a good few beers - hope it goes well fella

"Voltage test screwdriver" aaahhhhh NO NO NO haha

Very true, get yourself a volt stick and use it.
A popular pastime with some people is nicking earth bonding and connections.

A volt stick could save your life.

Ps, well done and good luck with the job.

a rag is allways handy 2 have at the ready , and a couple push fit stop ends 15 & 22 mm in the top of ya box ,could save your skin (or someones ceiling 1 day , good luck m8

Clock-type radiator bleed key keep it on your key ring and a pen a pack of post it notes useful for when doing gas rates etc. Ubique brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Pump/feed/expansion are piped/in wrong...
Replies
Views
No they just do the address, thank goodness...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Can’t adjust it Jon as it sounds like gravity...
Replies
Views
I have a small pair of record stilsons...
Replies
Views
You need to find other self employed tradesmen...
Replies
Views
Back