Upgraded central heating system | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Upgraded central heating system in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

frankm

Hello
I need some advice please,i am not a plumbing engineer just a consumer
I have just had my old system boiler(25 yearsold) replaced with a combi boiler Ramaha 28C and all rads replaced with trv's (well apart from 2 rads one in hallway and the one in the bathroom) the engineer said thats how they do it ,leave two trv's off.
my question is my old system had a room stat in hall but this has been disconnected from the system and we have no room stat now as the engineer said that the trv's do the job now, but reading i see that you have to have a room stat due to building regs.

Who is correct and should i get back on to the engineer to get a room stat fitted or does my boiler not need one( i read some dont as the have a flowswitch or something or am i getting confused)

The only control is the timer clock on boiler itself

Please any advice

Thanks in advance

Frank

building control i am affiad so needs one plus stat as always with condensing boiler part L blah bla blah
so yes stat required

As above Frank ... He should have filled out the Benckmark paperwork in your manufacturers installation instruction booklet also. There you'll find that the boiler should have an interlock (timer) & room thermostat fitted. A programmable stat does the work of both, bye-the-way :)

Thanks diamondgas i had seen that document but did'nt read it properly just looked and it ticks the box on room thermostat and programmer/timer

frank

bod
i did not see his card but went on gas safe website with his number and it has "Domestic area of work - Combustion Analysis ,Gas Boiler and pipework"
Gas Type : Natural

Frank

Thanks diamondgas i had seen that document but did'nt read it properly just looked and it ticks the box on room thermostat and programmer/timer

frank

Well if it was me I'd have to hold my hands up and put one in for you. I can't see a reason why they didn't.... Well ignorance to current regs maybe!

Could be well worth asking when you'll be expecting your registration certificate too!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Diamondgas
he did mention the registration certificate and i would recieve from building control shortly

Frank

Diamondgas
he did mention the registration certificate and i would recieve from building control shortly

Frank

Qiz him on the room stat .... with great tact and decorum of course!!! LOL

I know a lot of people who don't put TRV's on towel rads. I know its regulation but the customers complain of low output so they don't bother anymore. Even though towel rads don't give off great heat in general. It's what I'm led to believe, anyway. Any correction to my thinking/advice?

no trv on bathroom and hall, no room stat?? sound like somebody needs to read up on current standards.

you may be able to get an plug in/wireless programable room stat for your boiler? would save time and mess of rewiring a new stat. worth a look.

I know a lot of people who don't put TRV's on towel rads. I know its regulation but the customers complain of low output so they don't bother anymore. Even though towel rads don't give off great heat in general. It's what I'm led to believe, anyway. Any correction to my thinking/advice?

always fit a trv myself (up to customer if they remove it), and try to oversize towl rail rad but space is always a problem.

Yeah, space is an issue. A customer will praise me for a great job, but that'll soon turn to seething anger when they're bending over drying their tootsies and get their crack branded by a 6 foot blazing griddle. :rofl:

just a normal rad in bathroom dont see the point in a towel rad/expense

Frank

as above must have room stat ,along with power flush central heating filter and a programmer

you can always fit a normal rad and a small towl rail rad over the baths non shower end if there is room, in the right situation it looks good.

Hello
I have just had my old system boiler(25 yearsold) replaced with a combi boiler Ramaha 28C and all rads replaced with trv's (well apart from 2 rads one in hallway and the one in the bathroom) the engineer said thats how they do it ,leave two trv's off.
my question is my old system had a room stat in hall but this has been disconnected from the system and we have no room stat now as the engineer said that the trv's do the job now, but reading i see that you have to have a room stat due to building regs.

Who is correct and should i get back on to the engineer to get a room stat fitted or does my boiler not need one( i read some dont as the have a flowswitch or something or am i getting confused)

Please any advice

Thanks in advance

Frank

You have got your answer, interesting that the engineer said you don't need a room stat because TRVs do the job because this is not the case. As someone mentioned a room thermostat also acts as the boiler interlock which is required by building regs.
In plain engliah this means it turns it off when you don't need it cos your house is hot enough.
Each TRV only shuts off that rad, the whole house could be hot enough but the boiler doesn't know.
BTW, you don't have a TRV in the same room as the room thermostat.

Personally I think there is a good arguement for not having a TRV in the bathroom, why would you ever want to turn off/down your bathroom rad? But that is a whole different debate. My understanding of building regs is that a TRV or other form of thermostat should be in avery room.

Hello

Please any advice

Frank

Went for a cheap job eh? Guy probably can't wire one up for you so is bluffing. You should have one and even better get a programable one. This is pretty normal for low end installers who do cheap jobs must have got the Remeha on an offer as that is a good boiler.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont put a TRV on towel rails. Regs state they should have them on all rads, but its not compulsary if the customer cant afford the extra expense of having them installed with a new boiler. So I wouldnt worry about that, it will be better without a TRV on in my eyes. It should have a room stat though, but alot of customers always want a cheap job and end up with bits being missed off to keep costs down. Check his quote and see if he quoted to install one.

no trv on bathroom and hall, no room stat?? sound like somebody needs to read up on current standards.

you may be able to get an plug in/wireless programable room stat for your boiler? would save time and mess of rewiring a new stat. worth a look.

Theres no need to put a trv on the hall as that is normally where the room stat is. No need to put trv on bathroom as most people like them nice and hot, so no need to turn it down and its not a living area so doesnt need trv to meet regs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Basher, Thank you for the reply. So the...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
Yes I’d do that too, just shut the radiator...
Replies
Views
Yes I had an ancient boiler set up like that...
Replies
Views
Back