Urgent unvented hot water cylinder help needed. | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Urgent unvented hot water cylinder help needed. in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

S

Scottwood75

I was called by a friend to have a look at his unvented cylinder. The tprv was discharging into the tundish so I went to have a look, found it like this.

KatesBirthday010.jpg

KatesBirthday009.jpg

KatesBirthday008.jpg

KatesBirthday007.jpg

KatesBirthday006.jpg

KatesBirthday011.jpg

I know there are a few serious errors and would like someone to help identify them all to confront the installer.

The D2 pipework is defiantly wrong and terminates by going through the brick wall into thin air, on a 3rd floor flat. also its plastic overflow pipe.

Comments and thoughts please.

I dont know why they banned swearing on this site as its so frustrating answering these posts without !!!!!!!!
Turn it off, phone building control in the morning and report it to them! In fact phone the HSE and tell them

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, IF possible can you list the faults for me as we are compling a list. So far I have these:

Regarding the set up of your unvented hotwater cylinder, I believe the following faults are present

1: Combined temperature and pressure relief valve: Damaged, possible that it is stuck open which is why the water is discharging. Supposed to be able to twist to make sure it operates but also falls correctly back onto the seating.

Tundish: Should have only D1 pipework in the top and D2 in the bottom, no pipework from the side. Expansion valve pipework should be tee’d into D1

D1 Pipework: must be within 500 mm from the tprv to the tundish

D2 Pipework: MUST be metal and capable of withstanding the temperature of the discharged water (90-95 degrees centigrade). This pipe is plastic overflow pipe.

Must terminate in a safe place where there is no risk to persons in the vicinity, eg this one discharges out of the wall onto the ground below, for example a child may see the falling water and run under it.

D2 pipework MUST be at least one size larger then the outlet size of the tprv

D1 discharge is 15mm, D2 should be 22mm minimum and metal

D2 must fall vertically after tundish for a minimum of 300mm before any elbows or bends

D2 must have a continuous fall to facilitate removal of the discharge water

Combination valve: No balanced cold water supply: means that shower, basin and bath cold is mains pressure instead of having a point after the combination valve to supply it to the shower bath and basin at the same pressure as the hot.

Also just to clarify, I passed my unvented hot water with NICEIC, but it was back in March and have never touched it since, SO I may be a little rusty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankfully this brand/model of cylinder has built in expansion vessel.
Just another point, the drain off has been fitted to the balanced cold water supply connection, therefore not going to drain alot anyway
:-D

I am extremly impressed with the lever valve on the hot water outlet, how lethal is that???
I see loads of installs where the D1 and D2 pipes are installed incorrectly, but I can honestly say I have never seen one this bad

does the installer have to put their details/name on the sheet ? also can u run the tundish off into a sink? only asking as im a trainee and like to know the rightway of doing things thnx

Last edited by a moderator:

Similar plumbing topics

E
  • Question
Hi, I've got an unvented hot water cylinder...
Replies
Views
Elliott
E
S
  • Question
Many thanks, Ben-gee - that's very useful...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Replies
Views
Back