Using a gas isolator as a switch? | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter mikeclaude
  • Start date
  • Replies 4
  • Views 3K

Discuss Using a gas isolator as a switch? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikeclaude

I'm on a boat with LPG and have a half inch gas isolator just before my hob that's within easy reach. I decided to close it after cooking because the knobs on the hob don't feel that positive and I didn't want to rely on them. However, a friend in the marina told me that I was being paranoid and I might end up wearing the isolator out so that it doesn't work when actually needed. What do you think? Do these isolators wear out if used too frequently? The hob is supposed to have flame failure devices on each burner so should I just leave the isolator on permanently?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply.

A plumber's merchant told me the same thing, but it did seem odd to me.

That if I used an isolator to switch off the gas to the hob on a regular basis it would wear out pretty quickly.

Hi. Test the flame failure device mentioned. You may not get a second chance too if not present. I seem to remember that gas alarm censors are available for boat LPG installations. Good Luck

Thanks, yes I'll test the FFD.

I've got a bubble tester in the gas locker - it basically allows the user to test whether the system is sound by pressing a knob and looking in the sight glass to see if there are any bubbles which would indicate a leak. I'll get a gas detector/alarm too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Where the appliance has been previously used...
Replies
Views
Thanks for all the helpful advice chaps. I...
Replies
Views
C
at last inbox size has increased to 60 cheers...
Replies
Views
Mark#91
M
D
Replies
Views
The changeable head has the raised dimple on top.
Replies
Views
Back