Using basin taps for a bath | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Using basin taps for a bath in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm building a new bathroom and wondered if it is necessary to fit bath taps for the bath.

My Duotec combi boiler has a hot water flow rate of 16 l/min and a lot of basin taps are rated more than that.

Using basin taps would make the pipe fitting easier ( taps will be wall mounted with supply and waste pipes hidden in partition wall )

My logic makes me think that as my hot water coming from the boiler is in 15mm pipe then there is nothing to be gained by using 22mm fittings taps.

Any advice would be appreciated.

You'll fill the bath quicker with bath taps, even though they will share the 15mm feeds, the tap connectors for bath taps have a larger internal bore and the valve in the taps and all other parts where water would pass inside them are generally bigger bore too, not sure how noticable it would be to be honest though.
Thing is though if you exceed the flow rate of your boiler the water you get from the taps won't be as hot so regardless of the taps you use you probably won't open them fully anyway.
So to summarise:
Probably fine although they may look a bit small.

It's your house! If your thinking of selling at any point. Stick to the norm, or you may lose money.

Thank's for the replies JCplumb and Steven.

That confirms what I thought, that using larger bore bath taps would allow an increased flow rate but the water wouldn't be hot enough for a bath so the bigger bore taps would be pointless with a combi boiler.

Is it against regulations? I wouldn't have thought they'd notice different taps in a Home Report.

You could always use bath taps and put service valves behind bath panel to throttle back flow if ye wanted to use combi.
Might not b ideal but if ye have yer heart set on combi ye could go that way

A lot of standard type bath taps use 1/2" works identical to the same basin taps.
But the rest of tap body, as has been already mentioned, tends to be bigger, so better flow.
I would go with the bigger bath taps, as often you need to fill the bath fast and not all with hot water

A lot of standard type bath taps use 1/2" works identical to the same basin taps.

Thanks Best. I didn't realise that there are bath taps that use 1/2" connections. I'd be happy using them as it's the easier plumbing, using 15mm pipe and connections, that I'm after as the supply will be inside a 4" partition wall.

I wish the tap advertisements would give the connector size in their description.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Looking at how you replied to ShaunCorb's...
Replies
Views
T
  • Question
Sounds OK so long as the heating system is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Sorry for the delay in replying, I had an...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Sounds to me that the 15mm pipe that you are...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
  • Question
Thank you and from what my neighbours have...
Replies
Views
Back