using combi for hot water with system drained | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss using combi for hot water with system drained in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Simon F

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
was wondering if it was possible to close flow and return to a combi then drain down to still use hot water. read some previous posts where the suggestion was to fit a loop between flow and return.
what purpose would the loop serve? would it not work to just close the flow and return prior to draining to maintain pressure in the boiler?
If an open loop would be needed for some reason, how will that correspond to new requirements for zoning?

The boiler will not work unless it has correct water pressure in system, it is a safety feature, so by fitting a filling loop and connecting the flow and return you can then keep pressure up to allow for hot water use only.
I suppose the loop will also stop any chance of any problems if it fired up for heating, lets say for instance it fired up for anti frost etc.

Last edited:
I Assumed he was not going to leave it like that for ever thought it was while he did some work ...if it had a built in loop that would be handy...and so it dose not fire up remove link

its not for any specific job, was a general question. I recently did a job were the system was to be drained for a few weeks while work was on going. it would have been useful to keep the hot water but not vital as the house was empty at the time. I had wondered about the possibility of keeping the boiler working for hot water, but wasn't sure so played safe and drained it all.
Thanks for the replies so far.

But if for any reason the ch struck up it would damage the pump and get hot quick

got to rethinking this one, as most combi's are supplied with the internal bypass would that not act to protect the pump.
obviously you would not want it firing up for ch so would turn controls off anyway. but if it did fire up and was isolated at flow+ return would the bypass protect the pump and boiler from damage?

putting a loop of pipework in will help keep the boiler working and give the pump somewhere to circulate heated water. If you do not give the boiler somewhere to remove some heat then it may overheat/not fire up.

the internal bypass may protect the pump but you are not removing heat, it would be safer to link in a loop or rad. you could drop a coil of speedfit on after an amount of pipework for example. Personally i would not rely on a machanical valve that could not be working or fail, air on the side of caution.

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All This is following on from thread I...
Replies
Views
Fitted the blue cap and keeps the valve...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks. I'll try to find a hard copy as I...
Replies
Views
Yes - the recommendation above is accurate for...
Replies
Views
Hi Tony How did you get on with your diverter...
Replies
Views
Back