Using existing cylinder for woodburner with backboiler & underfloor heating | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Using existing cylinder for woodburner with backboiler & underfloor heating in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lorenzo

Hi all,

I'm looking to improve the heating system in our house and would like to use a woodburner with backboiler and underfloor heating (wet). Is it possible to utilise a standard open vented hot water cylinder with electric immersion to firstly store the hot water from the backboiler and secondly distribute it to the underfloor heating at the correct temperature?

As far as I understand the alternative is an expensive heat accumulator / combination tank which can be used with multiple heat sources... They look a little pricey so would be keen to use our existing tank if possible.

We are hoping to use Thermotube underfloor heating as the build up is thin.

We would look to install the system with a qualified heating professional, we are just keen to understand what is possible.

Many thanks,

Lawrence

The coil in the cylinder will need to be suitable for gravity circulation which your existing may not be depending on what set up you have now?

What make up you going for on ufh? The pipe is irrelevant to a degree it's all about insulation

I would be looking at a h2 panel to get it sorted properly. Post your location there will probably be somebody on here local to you with the relative experience.

Oh and welcome to the forums :)

I doubt very much that your cylinder will be suitable both in size and make up.

yes as Howie says , have a re-think.
insulation is absolutely key in to any UFH system.
Try your best to do away with any Immersion heaters.
Ok as back up, but turn one on, and watch your meter go man !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I started a long winded response but deleted...
Replies
Views
So you don’t have any of the blending valves /...
Replies
Views
T
Get an acv cylinder. Great for boiler and work...
Replies
Views
Look at a Viessman 222 10 year manufacturers...
Replies
Views
N
Re: Zoning upstairs. If you don't have 1 set...
Replies
Views
Back