Vaillant 242/1 E - Hot water only works when heating is on | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Vaillant 242/1 E - Hot water only works when heating is on in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

U

UserNameIsTaken

Hi

I have a Vaillant 242/1 E boiler - the hot water will only work when the heating is on.

Any ideas what would cause that and the likely cost?

Looking around the forums some mention replacing the diaphragm, some mention replacing the whole diverter valve unit and one said get a service kit for the diverter valve and change the diaphragm, lever and micro-switch assembly.

Thanks in advance.

Best thing to do is to get a local Gas Engineer to do a full diagnostic.

They should be able to tell you the exact problem and and give an accurate price for the work.

We've got Gas Engineers from all over the country here, what's your location? Someone will be nearby.

Had a look, and can see that the plastic leaver does no move down to trigger micro-switch button. If I press the button down with a screwdriver it ignites no problem.

Noticed that its a bit wet below the micro-switch, and one of the screws looks there looks rusted solid. I would guess its the diaphragm, but if I get the kit I'll have all the bits replaced.

Anyone near Dursley want to give me a quote for the job?

Had a look, and can see that the plastic leaver does no move down to trigger micro-switch button. If I press the button down with a screwdriver it ignites no problem.

Noticed that its a bit wet below the micro-switch, and one of the screws looks there looks rusted solid. I would guess its the diaphragm, but if I get the kit I'll have all the bits replaced.

Anyone near Dursley want to give me a quote for the job?

not after the way you've described it!! Only joking. Hope you find someone local.

I don't find the service kits to be good value for my customers. The money saved over a new valve is lost In labour.
I do however always have a refurbished valve in my garage to fit.

Last service kit I did took about two and a half hours, it was leaking, so needed a full overhaul.

Changing the whole diverter assembly took me 20 minutes from start to finish on another one. So I agree with the above, it sometimes might work out cheaper to change the whole assembly.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am trying to link a Hive heating & hot...
Replies
Views
  • Question
£330 And tbh finding a good service engineer...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yeah will deffo try I’ve got a strong magnet...
Replies
Views
Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
Can I have your gas reg number please so I can...
Replies
Views
Back