Vaillant 242e Combi - No central heating but hot water okay? | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Vaillant 242e Combi - No central heating but hot water okay? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

b16sne

Hi, thanks for taking the time to read this.

I've got a problem with a boiler (Vaillant Turbomax 242e Combi) - the hot water is fine when you turn the tap on but when you switch the heating on at the boiler, it fires up (fan and pump runs) but then stops about 10 seconds later. I've been told that it maybe the diverter valve, but thought I'd get some good advice off here first. Any ideas?

Thank you :)

Steve

does it fire up for ch at all?

Hi Mike, yes it does but only briefly. I seem to think its some kind of thermostat problem but I'm probably wrong. I've trauled various forums and they seem to suggest the diverter valve - all be it a lot of the problems that they are describing are having central heating but no hot water....which is the opposite to problems I've got!

Steve

Timeclock was replaced not that long ago, there is no roomstat, so hopefully its the thermister - I'll start with the cheapest! Are these easy to replace?

Thanks for the replies.

Timeclock was replaced not that long ago, there is no roomstat, so hopefully its the thermister - I'll start with the cheapest! Are these easy to replace?

Thanks for the replies.

depends on how competent you are,would strongly recommend the timer is checked first regardless of how young it is

Is there a way of checking the timer? Also do you need to drain the system to fit a thermister? Thanks for your replies gas man....much appreciated.

Steve

yes on draing the system is your timer remote? or built in to the facia

yes on draing the system is your timer remote? or built in to the facia

Built in. I don't understand why it would fire up when you switch the control to heating and hot water, but saying that when you turn the timer to the time it should come on, it doesn't do anything. I suppose logic is saying the timer?!

look round the back of the clock what colors are they buy this point can you use a multi meter?

Hi, couldn't tell you what the wires are coloured as the boiler is at another property. I can sort of use a multimeter lol........

not sure they differ from brand to brand should have brown,blue,and 2 blacks but they varies alot

I'll check it out, may just get a replacement just to be sure (aswell as a thermister!) I really appreciate your time, I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again!

Steve

depends on how competent you are,would strongly recommend the timer is checked first regardless of how young it is

It's not a thermister. I'd agree and say its a diverter problem if it's not the timeclock . CH thermister problem would be apperent in hot water mode.

It's not a thermister. I'd agree and say its a diverter problem if it's not the timeclock . CH thermister problem would be apperent in hot water mode.

Well at least we've kinda narrowed it down! I'm going to get hold of both, I'll replace the timer first then if no luck then the diverter valve. I'll report back either way.

Many thanks! Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
D
Apologies, I don’t believe it is condensing...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Are you Gas Safe Registered? If not please...
Replies
Views
Yes, could literally be anything on the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back