Vaillant boiler intermittent pressure problem | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Vaillant boiler intermittent pressure problem in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pan

Hi, I’m not asking for DIY advice on how to fix, just experienced input on what the problem might be (so I can talk options with the plumber). Here’s the problem:

I have an 8 year old Vaillant TurboMax Plus combi boiler. It has had fairly regular servicing by the plumber who installed. We have had a recurrent (not serious) problem of pressure loss, with the boiler needing topping up two or three times a year, for about 5 years (or more? - can't remember). Our plumber said this was not unusual. He did an ‘injection’ of a liquid that is supposed to stop small leaks (he didn’t drain the system first). But there has been no apparent change. He has also topped up/primed a part that needed air (don't know what it's called?). Just recently, however, the problem has got much worse. Monday last the boiler stopped working and I had to refill (to about 0.8/9 bar cold), although the pressure had been ok a couple of days before. Since Mon I have been monitoring constantly and the pressure has been up around 2 bar when in use. This morning no pressure again, so the boiler needed topping up to restart.

We don’t normally check the pressure every morning, but when we have the pressure gauge shows zero. Then it normally fires up and reaches normal pressure. We turn the heat off at night and when the problem occurs it’s when turning on the heat in the morning – we have never had a problem when the boiler was in operation (ie, during the day). Any ideas?

its a standard sealed system problem that your technician should be able to sort out fairly easily. like its says in the header if your not gsr ,advice will not be given in case you are tempted. You may think this is stupid, but consider the fact that I dont put my broken van in the garage when a fault light flashes up and tell the techie what needs doing, I just expect him to find the problem, tell me the cost to fix and do it. in the mean time repressurise to one bar and ch will work ok till you turn it off and it cools down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for reply. No way will I try to tackle this myself but I understand you have to cover yourselves as well as the simple safety issue. Can I just ask: by "standard sealed system problem" do you mean the boiler itself or the whole central heating system? Hopefully the former, because all the c.h. pipes are under wooden floors on top of old floor (and upstairs under wall to wall carpeting)... fingers crossed

Could be a simple fix, has the boiler been serviced recently?

could be boiler or system problem!

Last service 1 year ago, but not a new problem, only severity. So, could be either boiler....or system :disappointed: From symptoms educated guess? (our plumber has moved away, so can't ask him)

Time for a boiler service, get him to check the system while he's there!

much more likely to be boiler issue but cant confirm unless with boiler

There is a device coming to market soon that will solve this pressure loss
problem which affects combi boiler systems - our local rep mentioned it
on wednesday

centralheatking

There is a device coming to market soon that will solve this pressure loss
problem which affects combi boiler systems - our local rep mentioned it
on wednesday

centralheatking

This the stuff thats been on TV shopping channels ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If its going to anti cycle then its not the...
Replies
Views
the pressure of my boiler looks unstable...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
What the easiest way to find why my boiler is...
Replies
Views
Yep I think that’s got to be the next step. I...
Replies
Views
Back