Vaillant Ecofit Pure frost protection | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Vaillant Ecofit Pure frost protection in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

The installation manual says:

Frost protection

The appliance has a built in frost protection device that protects the boiler from freezing. With the gas and electric supplies ON and irrespective of any room thermostat setting, the frost protection device will operate the pump when the temperature of the boiler water falls below 12 °C. A timer is used so that the temperature can be checked periodically. After 10 minutes the pump will be stopped if the temperature is higher than 10 °C or has already reached 35 °C. The burner will activate if the boiler temperature does not reach 10 °C after 30 minutes or at any time if the temperature drops to 5 °C. The burner will switch off when the temperature reaches 35 °C.

So I think what it's saying is:

• Pumps runs if the water temp gets below 12C and periodically checks the water temp is between 10C and 35C
  • If it's then not above 10C, it will heat it to 35C (which will also heat the rads to 35C I presume, or will it only heat the core of the boiler?)

Reason I ask is that I set my house temp to 9.5C when I'm away. This is actually a Nest's default Eco temp and is ok for me. Will this mean in cold weather the boiler will be periodically firing up frost protection just to get the water to 35C even though the house temp is between 9.5C and 12C? This doesn't seem very efficient. And worse if I set my Eco temp lower to save more energy when I'm away (perhaps for days).

Seems odd that the boiler's "frost" protection system involves such high temps (especially being initially triggered to run the pump at 12C). That's a 'normal' frost-free temp in the UK and if there's little demand for heat or water, wouldn't the boiler temp often drop to 12C?!

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
But they don’t drain the system so can still...
Replies
Views
GREENSTAR CDi CLASSIC Worcester Bosch...
Replies
Views
  • Question
. Not really, no. The return temperature is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
And just as any funs just getting louder over...
Replies
Views
Ok, thanks will let here leave it is
Replies
Views
Back