Valliant Turbomax 824/ 2E Fires up for few seconds when cold water run. | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Valliant Turbomax 824/ 2E Fires up for few seconds when cold water run. in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

darren bastin

Gas Engineer
Boiler fires up for afew seconds when any cold water tap is run. This has happened since cust removed a small cloak rad. I assume the aqua sensor is picking up movement of water , can it be triggered if there is backflow/reversed flow. Boiler is 8 yrs old . Incoming pressure is 3.5 bar. Any ideas

I would assume that its reversing the flow, don't know why altering the heating circuit would affect the DHW side. Have they fully opened up the stop valve?
If its always happening then I would consider fitting an non return into the mains feed.

Is it when the tap is turned off? Iff it is it can be shunting into the boiler causing it to fire for hot water. This can be solved by putting a mini pressure vessel on it.

:welcome: to the forum Darren ... Good advice above:)

Personally I'd be looking for a 'dead leg' somewhere! maybe the custard drained down the domestic circuit as-well as the heating? Any air trapped in the domestic water pipes has the potential to trigger a flow switch! As CES says, a none return valve will solve that! :)

Surely a dead leg on the domestic wouldn't do that. And also air in cold mains! have new quarter turn taps been fitted? If so they turn off a lot sharper and could cause this fault.

Surely a dead leg on the domestic wouldn't do that. And also air in cold mains!

Hi Leo21 ... Any air trapped in the domestic circuit can trigger the flow switch to operate as said! Laws of physics Boils law maybe? lol ... Air will compress and relax when pressure is exerted! If that air happens to be in the hot water side of the installation then water will 'push' and 'pull' up and down the hot pipe as the air is compressed and relaxed depending on what is going on elsewhere! Does that make sense? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok makes sense, but its when the cold tap is ran. Something has to be shunting the boiler into life via the cold main. If there's air in the hot why would it make any difference. Please don't think I'm saying your wrong just trying to get my head round it. Every day is a school day.

Ok makes sense, but its when the cold tap is ran. Something has to be shunting the boiler into life via the cold main. If there's air in the hot why would it make any difference. Please don't think I'm saying your wrong just trying to get my head round it. Every day is a school day.

No probs my friend .. see if i can explain this!

Imagine a pocket of air trapped in the 'hot' pipe somewhere on a combi! At rest the whole system is say 6 bar pressure including the compressed pocket of air! So you flush a toilet (cold pipe only) Pressure may drop in the whole system, hot included, to 3Bar yeh? Well the Air at 6bar wants to relax and does pushing water 'backdown' the hot pipe. that triggers the flow switch. either that or the sudden flow back to re-pressurise the air pocket once the valve is turned off!

Does that make sense? :)

Urika! So suction on hot pipe.I thought the air pocket would act as kind of buffer softening the shunt as the cold water demand stopped. Like I say every days a school day.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
DIY gas work kills and this forum will play no...
Replies
Views
Rickster123
R
D
  • Question
You require a gas safe engineer. This forum...
Replies
Views
Rickster123
R
I not sure this has been suggested above, but...
Replies
Views
C
You're not "ok working on this boiler" unless...
Replies
Views
Rickster123
R
Thanks for the prompt replies lads (why you...
Replies
Views
Back