Vented hot water cylinder | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Vented hot water cylinder in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Q

quickquery

Hi
I've recently moved into a property with a vented hot water cylinder and my landlord is trying to make me use the system for two hours twice a day, on the basis that if such a cylinder is not used regularly in this way it is likely that the element will blow quicker.
There is an electric shower and I usually boil a kettle for washing-up every day or two, and don't use hot water for anything else apart from tea/coffee & cooking which I boil in the kettle.
It seem ridiculous for me to spend about £200 a year on hot water I won't use and just waste all that power.
Is there any truth in his concern? (in which case I think I'll just give him cash to cover the fitting of a new element now and switch the heater off, which will save me loads in the long term).
Or is the element likely to blow quicker being used for four hours per day? (in which case I'll turn it off and stand my ground).
Many thanks in advance if anyone can advise me with this.

no dont pay him and use it as you please it will burn out quicker the more you use it, and once a day should be plenty if its an insulated one

Somebody in the past, - maybe a plumber of sorts, has perhaps told your landlord that a immersion element has blown due to lack of use, I reckon. And your landlord has believed it.
How does your landlord know if you do, or don't use your immersion?

Somebody in the past, - maybe a plumber of sorts, has perhaps told your landlord that a immersion element has blown due to lack of use, I reckon. And your landlord has believed it.
How does your landlord know if you do, or don't use your immersion?

He's hardwired a timer unit onto it and set it for two hours morning & evening. I switched it off when I moved in & he then commented next time he was round to do some work that the water was cold and asked me if I've been using it. I told him I hadn't used it that morning (which was true), and he didn't look very happy about it but didn't take it further.
I'm sure the issue will arise again next time he visits to do work (weekly!:()
I don't think he really knows what he's doing with this property, bit of a 'Rigsby'.
Don't want to have conflict with him, but also don't want him pushing me around.
If he hassles me about it again I'll ask him to name the source of his information, and go from there - he told me this before I moved in and it sounded like BS to me - many thanks for confirming that for me.

Yea landlord is being unreasonable, I've had elements not work when they've been off for sometime but then again I've switched elements on after years and all has been good.

Only to keep the peace I would agree to cover the element if it goes, maybe you can test it on your final week of tenancy.

Load of tripe. Its been changed before due to scale build up or old age. They should be set at 60-65 degrees in soft water areas. In hard water areas I'd probably set it at 55-60 degrees.
Use it as you want. Don't listen to him. Like said before if he forces you to use it make him pay the electric bill for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same as others if he wants it on so meny Hrs a day get him to fit a separate meter so you can deduct the amount it uses, He his talking from the place that the sun don't shine, Your paying the electric bill, its up to you what you use, Typical A/Hole Landlord, is the flat in such poor condition that he needs to come round all the time ?

The place is a converted stables, which hasn't been done properly and landlord is picking away at the job in bits and on the cheap.
Damp & woodworm, etc. He's doing the usual slumlord thing of wanting me to run the electric wall heaters and a heated towel rail in the bathroom all year round, while also leaving all the windows open to manage the damp problem, rather than tanking the wet wall.
Been here before with crap property and idiot landlords so I was expecting issues.
Moved here out of desparation really as I needed somewhere to live urgently.
Probably won't be here very long!
Thanks for advice and moral support with the immersion chaps.

Hi
I've recently moved into a property with a vented hot water cylinder and my landlord is trying to make me use the system for two hours twice a day, on the basis that if such a cylinder is not used regularly in this way it is likely that the element will blow quicker.
There is an electric shower and I usually boil a kettle for washing-up every day or two, and don't use hot water for anything else apart from tea/coffee & cooking which I boil in the kettle.
It seem ridiculous for me to spend about £200 a year on hot water I won't use and just waste all that power.
Is there any truth in his concern? (in which case I think I'll just give him cash to cover the fitting of a new element now and switch the heater off, which will save me loads in the long term).
Or is the element likely to blow quicker being used for four hours per day? (in which case I'll turn it off and stand my ground).
Many thanks in advance if anyone can advise me with this.

Tell your landlord to bugger off & you'll use what you need when you need it

Bloomin cheek

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
https://myenergi.info/viewtopic.php?p=87432#p87432
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
They sound extremely suspect, I realise it's...
Replies
Views
J
Replies
Views
  • Question
The basin & bathtaps will be pretty old to be...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks, I'll insulate it then. Would the...
Replies
Views
Back