Vertical radiator on single stud? | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Vertical radiator on single stud? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Hi, I have an internal, decorated plasterboard wall with poor studding: from left to right, there is a 22mm wide (i.e., horizontally parallel to the wall) stud, then a 38mm stud (the two studs are spaced 60cm), then the jack stud of the door.
I need to hang a ~2500 BTUs radiator (I have gas central heating), and I'd prefer to avoid both hanging on plasterboard and adding battens/noggins to fix the brackets.

So I thought to fit a vertical radiator (total width 27cm) by fixing all the four brackets to the 38mm stud via steel plates/flat brackets similar to this one:
https://res.cloudinary.com/rsc/image/upload/b_rgb:FFFFFF,c_pad,dpr_1.0,f_auto,h_281,q_auto,w_500/c_pad,h_281,w_500/F3975008-01?pgw=1

Would that work and be doable?
Any suggestion welcome.

Yes it would work as long as you can get a good fixing to whatever metal you decide to use.

Saying that, I think you’re overthinking it. Just get some plasterboard fixings. I think 6mm toggle bolts on 12.5mm plasterboard are rated for 15kg. 4 fixings = 60kg. Can’t imagine your rad weighing more than that.

Yes it would work as long as you can get a good fixing to whatever metal you decide to use.

Saying that, I think you’re overthinking it. Just get some plasterboard fixings. I think 6mm toggle bolts on 12.5mm plasterboard are rated for 15kg. 4 fixings = 60kg. Can’t imagine your rad weighing more than that.
You're probably right, I tend to overthink things. That said, not using plasterboard fixing gives me some peace of mind, also because the plasterboard is only 9.5mm. Would probably still be ok, but...

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks. Yes, I overthink, especially when...
Replies
Views
M
If that had happened to one of my jobs I would...
Replies
Views
S
Thanks for all the help chaps. I'll give it a...
Replies
Views
sammyb
S
D
i totally agree with you, ive seen pipes...
Replies
Views
bob the plumber
B
Back