Very Hard Red Scale bulid up in toilet bowls | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Very Hard Red Scale bulid up in toilet bowls in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vanguard101

Hi all,

Has anyone come across a problem with rapid build up of Red/Brown build up up of almost impossible to shift scale on toilet bowls.
I have had the water tested by the local water board,they say it is ok.
The pipes appear to be all copper.
I am pulling my hair out for what to do.
Anyone have any ideas?

Jim

Hi Jim

I don't know why your scale deposits are red but the best way that I have found to get rid of scale is to use a fine grade of wet & dry paper which will remove the scale & polish the glaze on the w/c. Brings them up a treat.

I have seen it before but never pursued it any further really. I imagine most red scale has something to do with iron. It may be an old system with a steel storage cistern whose galvanising is breaking down. It could be sections of old iron mains. Without further testing would you ever find out? There is probably some simple test you can do to find out. Its just annoying me because I think I have seen it before and can't think of what it was thought to be.

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone for their advice.
How do I prove this problem in or out of my premises?

ciao.

Jim.:confused:

tell the customer to change toilet cleaners some brands build up as scale use neat bleach for a while
to clean existing scale of try spirits of salts

As Bernie 2 suggested - could be metal storage tank.
I took one out recently and couldn't believe the state of it inside - the red stuff gets everywhere & is a real bugger to clean off !

Blod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

R
Following as I came here to ask the exact same...
Replies
Views
Laurie1987
L
You may also find pushing the button sharply...
Replies
Views
B
Sometimes you have to think outside the box...
Replies
Views
N
No blockage in soil pipe? Was he a plumber or...
Replies
Views
1/4" from the bottom of the cistern sounds a...
Replies
Views
Back