very hot water in toilet cistern!! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss very hot water in toilet cistern!! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PlumbBobBob

hi been called out to a rented house in which it was discovered that there was very hot water (steaming) in the toilet cistern. does anyone have an idea what could be the matter? possibilities are split coil in hot water cylinder, kitchen mixer tap cross flowing back up the hot pipe. going back tomorrow with stepladder to get into the loft(no loft ladder) to see the tanks.

Hot water ??? Toilet is mains supplied ??

Any hot water from other cold taps?

Possible immersion heater failure leading to pumping over into the cold water storage cistern.

every thing was turned off when i went around yesterday and when i turned the immersion on it sounded like it was heating up straight away. and it seemed quite old because the temp scale was in farenheit not centigrade.

Think I know these tenants, bumped into them in the Doctors last week, seemed like a close couple un suite, the wife was complaining of hot flushes
Anyway got talking apparently they had a new bathroom suite fitted last week for £300,during the day the plumber decided to pop to the shops and asked wife if she wanted anything, apparently she asked for a hot dog, funny enough the plumber was at the doctors as well, getting his ears suringed,it’s a small world !

But in case not the above would agree with Mike about immersion heater

just been back and discovered that the thermostat for the immersion heater had burned out on one of the terminals so will be getting a new one tomorrow

Is it possible the water from the storage cylinder can end up going up the open vent pipe and into the cwsc?, or is the steam enough to heat the cwsc reserve over time if the cylinder thermostat has failed?

Agreed
A classic case of thermo syphoning
Except for the burnt out immersion heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello! I was checking something in the toilet...
Replies
Views
The mains water is now feeding everything in...
Replies
Views
Thank you so much - really appreciate the...
Replies
Views
I would take a look inside the cistern, make...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back