Very low soil pipe connection | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Very low soil pipe connection in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Crunchie7

I am trying to help a friend who has just moved into a new home and found the toilet base is badly cracked. The make is Twyfords, but I don't know the model. It has a separate pan and cistern, and ideally she just wants to replace the pan, to keep costs and redecorating down.

The toilet is a 'P' type but the waste outlet is very low. The centre of the soil pipe is only 95mm from the floor. It goes horizontally through the wall at that height. The toilet is 675mm from wall to front. The base of the toilet is very narrow and it is cracked at the bottom. The whole thing seems a bit wobbly so ideally one with a wider footprint would be better.

Does anyone know of a pan with such a low outlet ? I can't find a way to search on soil pipe height. Ideally we need a cheap DIY solution as money is tight

Thanks for any advice

Hi! Are you sure the centre from soil to floor is 95mm as this would be very unlikely? If so it sounds very much like a twyford low level pan, very common and cheap to buy and install because it probably wont take any longer than an hour to install, post a pic if possible hope this helps

Thanks so much for your fast reply. Here is a photo. We measured the 95mm from the centre of the soil pipe to the floor. It certainly seems very low.

Attachments

• 07022012561.jpg
    07022012561.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 98
It is a twyford low level pan but not a standard, it must be specially made for a low soil pipe i presume, your best bet would be going into a plumbcentre as they have a twyford brochure and they could order one up for you

probably a very old pan. Phone twyfords and ask if they do a direct replacement.... if not you may have to adjust the waste to suit.

Had to look at one of these last year, wont get a pan that matches so a re-jig of the soil pipe is required...

looking again at photo, a flexi pan connnector is possible...

Thank you for the information, do you mean use a flexible pipe to join the new pan to the existing soil stack ?

Yep phone twyfords or pick up a twyford's manual at a local plumbers merchants as altering the soil stack will be a major job if you are on a budget

Thanks everyone for your help. It sounds a job for a plumber after all. Maybe she can live with it for a little while. I hoped it would be a direct replacement. Maybe that's why the previous owner left it like that !

crunchie7 did you measure to the floor the toilet pan is stood on or the laminate floor on top of the original floor?

get a standard pan and a flexi pan con youll need to cut the pipe back flush to the wall if its cast youll need an angle grinder to cut it

I measured from the floor but it's only half a cm to the bottom. I have contacted Twyfords but they say it is too old to identify.

Super glue is very tempting ! Just a bit concerned that it might crack the screw holes taking it out. The broken bit won't go back in place without loosening the base a bit. thanks everyone for your help.

Don't use superglue - it's not the right adhesive for this.

Use a two part epoxy (Araldite). Loosen the pan far enough to get the two pieces to mate. Mix up some glue , gently expand the crack as far as it will go (use a wooden barbecue skewer or similar - not metal) and work the glue into the crack. Then close the crack up, wedging it from the underneath until it's set. Clean up the squeezed out glue by shaving it with a stanley knife blade when it's gone 'plastic' but before it's fully set (it's rock hard once it's set).

When it's fully set, screw the pan back down.

However: The reason it will have cracked might be because it wasn't properly bedded down and the screw above the crack will have put a lot of stress on that piece of the pan. If you can, it might be a good idea to undo all the fastenings, rock the pan backwards a little, scrape out underneath where the pan sits as best you can and bed it down better (tile adhesive is good for this in a pinch - squish some into the gap underneath the pan and gently screw it down until it squeezes out all the way round). Failing that, just squish some in underneath the crack and go easy on that screw when you fasten it back down.

it's called an h/o outlet, you could try getting another h/o pan, and fit a multi flex on the pan and outlet pipe, it's flexibility will give you a short kick down, without causes any subsequent problems with blockages.
Multikwik supply them in various lenghts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Turn your phone 45 degrees!!! The picture is...
Replies
Views
I got a Floplast boss strap from Screwfix...
Replies
Views
No problem with the 900mm from openings as it...
Replies
Views
Providing there is a finned seal and the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back