Very old high level cistern refurb | Plumbers Arms | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Very old high level cistern refurb in the Plumbers Arms area at Plumbers Forums

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Anyone had much luck putting new parts into a cistern like this?

Ideally want to take out all the old rusy gumph inside and put in new syphon, inlet and high level chain pack but not sure if it will fit/work.

Customer wants to keep the old cistern and paint the outside when done.

Thanks

163521506_785537015680968_887091822536988176_n.jpg
163593609_963453037522791_4207810676239571236_n.jpg
163558431_761461524573136_1633374678366202646_n.jpg
163510332_479273813211118_8253033644537819998_n.jpg

I'm presuming the nut at the top of the lead flush pipe will be 1.5" and connect to a modern spyhon thread? As don't want to change / alter the flush pipe if poss.

I vaguely remember replacing the lever and arms bits in one before. I seem to remember the bits I had sourced were not a good fit but I rigged something up that just about worked.

You'll probably need to drill the side for a bracket similar to below and use a compact flush.

Flush lever.PNG

Cistern flush high level.PNG

main.jpg
main.jpg

Takes confidence and courage to play around with ancient plumbing fittings like that. I was once tasked with repairing a high level cistern very similar in the Main Bridewell cells in the old Liverpool Magistrates Court. If I remember correctly they were lead lined wooden boxes. luckily for me they must have been 'updated' at some point because I had the simple job of changing a Part 1 ball valve in it.

Old school plumbing knowledge is as rare as rocking horse poo these days so I'll take my hat off to you if you manage to get it back to its old original self. Just try what you think, hardly likely anyone else is going to come along sucking air through their teeth while shaking their head.

You'll probably need to drill the side for a bracket similar to below and use a compact flush.

View attachment 60091

View attachment 60092

Thanks, I actually emailed him with some pictures to ask what I might need. He said he couldn't help.

Yes looks like nothing will work without making some adaptions/drilling into the cistern.

Any idea what cistern is likely to be made of/how easy/likely to go off without an issue drilling a small hold for a bolt like that would be?

View attachment 60124View attachment 60124

Takes confidence and courage to play around with ancient plumbing fittings like that. I was once tasked with repairing a high level cistern very similar in the Main Bridewell cells in the old Liverpool Magistrates Court. If I remember correctly they were lead lined wooden boxes. luckily for me they must have been 'updated' at some point because I had the simple job of changing a Part 1 ball valve in it.

Old school plumbing knowledge is as rare as rocking horse poo these days so I'll take my hat off to you if you manage to get it back to its old original self. Just try what you think, hardly likely anyone else is going to come along sucking air through their teeth while shaking their head.

I was thinking of saying no guarantees but I can take it away with me (it's not plumbed in or in use) and try a few things and no charge if nothing looks like fitting/working but estimate an amount if I can get it working. Was more for the novelty/challenge.

But that's not an arrangement I've ever offered anyone before so I have my doubts.

Any idea what cistern is likely to be made of/how easy/likely to go off without an issue drilling a small hold for a bolt like that would be?

The body is cast iron, as are most of the internals, a sharp drill will go through easy enough.
I'd do as you say, take it away, strip it out and fit new parts, sort out the correct length for the lever.
It would have been nice to keep the existing lever, for looks, but it'll be too heavy for a modern plastic flush without a strong spring to hold it up, unless maybe it could be fixed back in just for looks.

Then take it back and let them get it sand / media blasted or wire brushed, whatever they want to do.

The one on this link is a very similar style inside, so you know what to expect.

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

I don't have any pictures. I think I had...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Well done resolving it, glad to be of help...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You might find it just needs a bit of use
Replies
Views
  • Question
Try fitting a doughnut onto it.
Replies
Views
B
Sometimes you have to think outside the box...
Replies
Views
Back