Victoria & Albert Roll Top Bath, HELP!!! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Victoria & Albert Roll Top Bath, HELP!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannypipe

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Right guys, I'm fitting a Victoria & Albert Roll Top bath tub.

The trap is supplied with the bath, and is a very nice quality metal (chrome plated) assembly.

It's a shallow trap, that then has a chromed pipe that drops at 90 degrees down under the floor boards.

I wanted to attach a mechanical 40mm elbow onto this, to point me in the direction of the outside wall.

I've hit a problem as the chrome pipe is ever so slightly smaller than standard 40mm waste pipe. So the elbow is a sloppy fit. I just know it will leak. I've tried a different brand and it too is sloppy!

So it looks like I might have to make it on and silicon it. Which to me just smacks of 'BODGE'.

I don't really like putting my name to any bodge, even if it is the only solution. Anyone else come across this?

Ta:D

Right, not had many viewings to this thread, so what I'll probably do is call Victoria & Albert technical line and explain problem. Then report back. You never know, it may help some poor plumber who has the same problem one day.

Nightmare!

Last edited:
I thought the V&A waste kits were designed to fit snugly inside a 40mm waste?

A picture will paint a thousand words. So I'll take one at work tomorrow. It doesn't fit snuggly into the fitting. It's very close.

But you know when you know when you put a piece of standard waste pipe into a mechanical fitting, and tighten the backnut. It pinches the rubber and grips the pipe tight. Well with this, it doesn't. So the pipe will spin and pull out easily. It's just a couple of mm too small. Very frustrating.

Never had this problem before. I'm Semi tempted to just put a standard Mc Alpine shallow trap on the bottom of the bath waste. You can just see it though, and the chrome trap looks fantastic.

could do with a pic as you say, but could you not just buy another chrome trap, more suitable?

shaun

Yeah, I thought of that today. It's just that the client is not the most understanding person, and will assume I'm wasting their money!

I'm working tommorow for my sins, so I will photograph it, and post it up. Trouble is, I wanted it sorted by midweek at the latest. The floor has to go down!

I should have photographed it today!

I've seen a similar trap for £25, which is a lot cheaper that the £95 I think this one cost!

Cheers for the advice. I will post with pics tomorrow.

I have exactly the same problem - what was your solution in the end?

you can get a mcalpine oversized ring for this but they can be dificult to get other than that its a lot of tape

In the end, I had no choice but to silicon the compression coupling....I've just checked out the link to Mc Alpine posted by Tiddles. That would have been perfect!!

Ironically, the bathroom has now been ripped out. It was a brand new install. However the house went up for sale, and was bought by another customer of mine (what are the chances!?).

He called me round, and said 'the wife loves this bathroom, but due to the layout of the house, we want to turn it into a bedroom and move the bathroom downstairs. So even though it was only a year or so old the bathroom got ripped out!

For your information through. In that year, the joint hadn't failed. In future I know to use the Mc Alpine washer above. However when I asked, no one seemed to have a solution, including several merchants.

No. I can't remember the last time I used a push fit waste fitting. It might well have worked!

I just never use em and thus didn't think of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I would never share the waste as my first...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
M
The washing machine upstand doesn't have to be...
Replies
Views
Is the gas pipe magnetic?
Replies
Views
R
If the bath has moved, it needs moving back to...
Replies
Views
Back