Video - infrequent rumbling noise from WB combi boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Video - infrequent rumbling noise from WB combi boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

ph0u203d

Hi, as part of some building work last summer I had a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 37 CDI combi boiler (about 4 years old at the time) moved from one wall (since knocked down) to another in my kitchen. Ever since, but very infrequently (1-2 times every 2 weeks), it makes a loud rumbling noise that can be heard throughout the house. It sometimes last for a few seconds but other times continues until I turn on the hot water tap. See this video for an example from a few nights ago:

tinypic.com/r/241ul2v/9

It's definitely coming from the boiler and not radiator TRVs. When it does happen it tends to be between 10 and 11 pm. The wireless CH thermostat times off at 10 pm but I've noticed that the green burner light is on when the noise occurs. In fact for the first time a few nights ago I was next to the boiler when the noise occurred - I heard it fire up just before the noise started. It does also occur (although much less frequently) when the CH thermostat is timed on but the set room temperature has been reached. It's happened once or twice in the middle of the night too.

I've asked the fitter that moved the boiler to come and look at it, but from the video and description he didn't have any immediate ideas as to what could be causing the noise. I'm not planning to tinker with anything myself but I was wondering if the video and description rang any bells, or if anyone had any ideas that could explain the problem? This might help the fitter to make a diagnosis. If not I can arrange for a WB engineer to come and look at it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

i would say when was it last serviced? and worcester fixed price repair is very good

Can't play the video...

Is it the hot water pre-heat? That's the only reason the boiler would be firing with no demand etc

Can't play the video...

Is it the hot water pre-heat? That's the only reason the boiler would be firing with no demand etc

Put www. In front of it

Has it had the mini expansion vessel fitted on the mains inlet? Perhaps it had one fitted and when they moved the boiler, they didn't fit it back on. Sounds like water hammer

Just to update... The fitter came round and ran a few tests. He noticed the supply pressure at the meter was a bit low. Transco came our and fitted a new regulator. In the 2 weeks since we haven't heard the rumbling noise. Happy days! And yes it already had a mini expansion vessel. Thanks for your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thank you for reply. I have isolated the noise...
Replies
Views
Sounds like it could be the stepper motor for...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Thanks for your reply. The noise is right at...
Replies
Views
Ok, thanks will let here leave it is
Replies
Views
Could be right above the boiler pipework or...
Replies
Views
Back