Views on plastic pipework for heating and hot water | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Views on plastic pipework for heating and hot water in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

S

squashabe

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I would be interested in any views regarding the use of plastic piping for the central heating from a gas combi heating and hot water system. I'm renovating an old town house and I'm thinking of using John Guest Speedfit rather than copper.

Thanks and I look forward to any replies.
Regards

Adrian

Done properly, no problem. Plenty of professionals do without issue. Those who don't use it often have nothing good to say about it. It does however look rubbish and so is best used when not visible.

I quite like using plastic when it is not on show. My preference is Polypipe grey I like the solid grip ring just like the old acorn system which is still going strong after many years. Ultimately copper is best but if you work alone plastic is top stuff in the right circumstances. The mice thing is a serious consideration.

I think as others have said, really copper is best for most situations. However, plastic can get you out of some sticky situations when you can't easily use copper. The speedfit stuff can come apart if it gets stuck on something too. I had to do a repair once in a very tight situation due to this.

I prefer copper cos I'm posh like.

As above though. Nothing wrong with plastic where it's not seen and it's much easier to install under the floor.

you can get little clips for speedfit which you push into the fitting to stop it from coming apart, which is a good idea. I like plastic to be honest I've mostly used Hep 2o really as I work with copper almost 90% of the time

speedfit fit needs twisting to be removed now?

plastic pipework is fine, i have 1st fixed a few hundred houses with speedfit, polyplumb,polyfit amoung others with no really problems compared to copper. As others have mentioned it is only as good as the installer, you need to pressure test it to manufactures guidelines, not solder within 600mm, have all tails in copper etc..... i try to keep it 2-3m away from a boiler and A/C.

buy it in 50mtr coils and to reduce fittings, i hate the stuff, been to many houses where a fitting may have blown or a mouse has been a bit peckish, plus it looks rough no matter how many clips you put on it.

Similar plumbing topics

I live in Azerbaijan, the house has three full...
Replies
Views
T
  • Question
Sounds OK so long as the heating system is...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
  • Question
I know there are such things as heat meters...
Replies
Views
Back