Vokera Linea 24 Boiler Issue, Advice Required Homeserve problem | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Vokera Linea 24 Boiler Issue, Advice Required Homeserve problem in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PlumbPunter

Hello Forum,

I am hoping some of you fine professionals can offer me some friendly advice.

Ok, so I have boiler cover with Homeserve. Had issues with them before trying to claim my boiler was a 'beyond economic repair' when all that was required a was £90 part, which was resolved after eventually speaking to a director, and not being fobbed off.

I have a new issue, The hot water on my Vokera Linea 24 is intermittent, IE: When running hot water, it goes cold, then hot, then cold, etc. etc.

So I called Homeserve, they sent the subcontracted engineer who seemed clueless; so I mentioned I had researched the problem on the net, and it was suggested the 'primary thermistor' could be the issue.

Anyway, the same Homeserve subcontractor comes back today and replaces:

a) Primary thermistor
b) DHW Thermistor.

The issue is STILL there, cold, then hot, then cold, then hot.

So the Homeserve guy say's "Well, you must have limescale in the plate to the heat-exchanger, and your Homeserve insurance 'does not cover it".

Hmmmm. This is why I have come here today, to ask your professional opinion.

A few facts:

1) The central heating works fine

2) The hot water goes from hot, to cold, to hot, to cold.

BUT, and this is what caught my attention:

I timed the distance between the burners going on (hot water coming through), and going off (cold water coming through), when running the hot water consistently.

The times are EXACTLY the same between burners on, and then burners going off. Like this:

1) Turn hot water tap on.

a) Burners run for exactly 30 seconds - producing hot water.
b) Burners then turn off for exactly 12 seconds - producing cold water.

And the above times are repeat identically until the water tap is turned off, therefore repeating the cycle of cold, hot, cold, hot, with the burner times being totally consistent.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this, and I would absolutely appreciate your comments as to what the cause is, or whether the Homeserve guy is fobbing me off, due to lack of know-how, before I contact them to dispute their 'diagnosis'.

Thank you in advance.

If thermistors changed that rules them out.
Switch off heating for while till cools down. Do not use hot water either.
Once boiler heating pipes bellow boiler cool, run hot tap. If heating pipes get warm it is a divertor issue. If not it is probable that the plate heat exchanger is furred up.

intermittant faults are a nightmare to trace,as a engineer you want the applaince broken down,as these problems can be anything from a aps to faulty pcb to wiring harness,
they will only go so far,as throwing parts at it,will cost a small fortune,hence the uneconomical vaible,if you dont accept this they will,no longer want your business,to be fair they are a poor boiler,lifespan 5-10 years if that

Hwy PlumbPunter :welcome: to the forum.

Sounds like, as mentioned, your plate heatexcnanger is not working as expected? In all honesty it depends whether its a 24 or 28?
24,,,,,,,, well there ya go ... 28 ..hmmmmmmm needs more investigation ! IMHO

Sounds like a choked plate or sticking div valve, either way there is only (usually) ome cause and that is sludge/iron oxide/limescale basically dirt and debris in the heating circuit

You should no if its a sensor or plate heat its really a basic test

If it's the plate h/exch. turn on tap, run hot water till the burner shuts down, imediately turn off tap watching temp guage if it soars upto late 80's or over 90 c it's the plate h/exch.
Which is blocked due to dirty system, if you're going to get it changed, the system will require/must be chemically cleaning, talk to a GSR engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

hello Chris. Thank you for your reply . I have...
Replies
Views
C
Try reading this - the pump and flow switch
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Yep I think that’s got to be the next step. I...
Replies
Views
Can you measure the flowrate from a HW tap, if...
Replies
Views
W
pcb issue so gas safe engy required sorry to say
Replies
Views
Back