Walk in bath | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Walk in bath in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

galaxy_plumbing

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi fellas,

my old neighbor had a mild stroke and now she has difficulty with moving around the house. They are thinking of replacing existing bath with walk in bath. Has any of you have any experience with them and/or can recommend some brands? They look quite expensive.

cheers

Only fitted one years ago was very tall sided and had a seat in it and had a door on it couldn't remember the name of it though fitted when used to work for my old boss

All this type of gear is really expensive - I suppose cause its a captive market - we do
McCarthy Stone devs on retro fit basis - but in Lancashire sorry.

What I would do is get your client to purchase the bath they want themselves and you
fit it as per spec - whilst explaining that you will be cheaper fitting than the supplier
which is easy - most of the bits are normal stuff.

This in my opinion is a growth area and Ray Stafford should look at it Centralheatking

My mum (81yo) broke her arm last year after a fall.

We looked at these baths and were being quoted £5k.

I fitted one for an old dear who's daughter had ordered it for her, you have to sit in the bath while it fills and then sit in it until it empties,the old girl absolutely hated it, she would be far better off with an accessible shower, along with a fixed folding seat, hand rails etc, makes life easier and certainly safer, no red hot or stone cold water filling up while you sit and wait for enough water to wash in, the person also has difficulty leaning forward to wash legs, feet etc.

You can buy walk in baths for around £1000 or the sitz type ones are a bit more but the only experience i have of fitting one the guy hated it as Stani said and had it replaced by a wet floor the next year.

Decent shower with a lip-less, low profile tray and a shower seat is often a better option.

Or a wetroom.

She should also try for a grant from the local authority, the money is there for the spending, might take time but she should qualify.

Had one installed for my nan.
went in one week and out the next.
made into a wet room for her instead.

put one in in sept last year, cost around £k, up/down seat so its identical to a normal bath, [DLMURL="http://www.gainsboroughbaths.com/product/details/1/cambridge-plus"]Cambridge Plus | Disabled & Easy Access Baths | Gainsborough[/DLMURL]

be aware they are heavy, big frame and I cocked up and had to whip out the door frame to get it in. But the custard loved it, and its ok to use normaly and for disabled folk, but for the money you are halfway there to a really great walk in/wetroom shower with seating and grab rails etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would look at swapping it over to a walk in/ wet room shower, if you have a look for Impey on line I think they even do a low profile tray that is a direct replacement for a standard 1700 - 700 bath so you don't even have to mess about to much with the rest of the room. do a bit of work in a care home and nearly all the baths are coming out and Impey level decks going back in with Altro flooring on top, suits everyone then, ordinary shower most of the time fold the seat down for mum everyone's a winner!!

The cheapest walk in bath was introduced thanks to EU rules regarding immigration, in east Anglia its called a river or lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Have you got a photo of the sink at the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
As it's rented you'd be better off contacting...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yeah, I have no doubt I'd soon forget about...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, hope this is okay to post. Just over...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It shouldn’t be a lottery when you call out BG...
Replies
Views
Back