Washer empties into rainwater drain. | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Washer empties into rainwater drain. in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

S

S4M

I've been browsing the forums, and noticed something along the lines of 'grey water shouldn't discharge into surface water drain'.

Could someone explain what 'grey water' is please?

My washing machine discharges into the same pipe as my kitchen sink, along with rainwater from the gutters. Is this OK? I have a feeling its not. If so, how long ago were the regulations changed? I'm assuming it was OK at one time. Does it just apply to new builds, or do old houses, like mine, have to be altered to fit new regs?

Cheers.

I think, but would need to double check, that grey water dirty water but not sewage ie. sewage from the toilet. there's also 5 catagories of water I think, fresh clean from mains up to toxic waste!!

as for which drian to put it in to is hard with out being on site. as there are three main types of drain systems.

seperate system - dirty/grey water to mains drian, and surface/ rain water to land drians.

combined system - all water goes in to mains drains.

semi combined - some rain water goes in to mains drian and some to land drains.

an easy way, but not always accurate is if it discharges into a trapped gully it is mains!!

so in anwser to your question. yes and no!!!

Hope this is of some kind of help!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Most water authorities add a charge to the water bill for putting rain water into their sewers. If they are separate you can get the charge waived.

Washing machine and sink should definately discharge into the sewer though.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to have a good look tomorrow, could be a trapped gully, which, I think, would make it OK.
There's definitely rain going in though.

As I said before, a trapped gully is a good indicater but a deffianative anwser, but yes depending on the type of system that you have it is ok for rain water to go into the mains drain.

Most water authorities add a charge to the water bill for putting rain water into their sewers. If they are separate you can get the charge waived.

I can confirm this as we were able to get the charge waived. All our rainwater goes to a local lake - the swans and ducks don't like oil or other crud put down the rainwater drains :(

Water coming from an appliance should discharge in to the "foul" drain with the toilet rather than rain water however it depends on the age of the property, if its an older property the drains could be combined so it wouldnt matter, houses built around 1965+ might have seperate or mixed and modern house will certainly have seperate drains.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
You could possibly install a swing check valve...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for that, it seems an elegant solution.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Btw - bloke from ST said can't tell me any...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Both of mine are domestic.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Check the pipe regularly, maybe there is...
Replies
Views
Back