Washing machine inlet pipe leaking, water pressure too high? | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Washing machine inlet pipe leaking, water pressure too high? in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hello all, first time poster here, I have looked but don't see this issue mentioned.

My old washing machine inlet pipe was leaking, not surprising given it was over 30 years old. It looks to have been a slow leak from the meeting between the rubber pipe and plastic connecter at the machine end. I bought a replacement pack, only sold in pairs at the shop I went to, and the first one I installed immediately ruptured at the same place - though it was a metal connector this time. There was a hiss while the air cleared and then water leaking.

I replaced that one with the second one from the pack, same pressure/temp grade, and it seems to be holding.

Could it be that the pressure in the house is too high? Do new inlet pipes often fail on first use? I've seen the anti leak safety pipes but they're around £25 each and need replacing after they fail so it's probably cheaper to keep replacing the cheap ones.

Well both plastic and rubber can harden with age. With regards to high pressure has any other plumbing work been carried out both inside the house and outside by workman or have you had a new boiler installed recently? Any changes at all?

RPM: It was just one new pipe that failed instantly so it may have just been faulty. The second one seems to be holding. I'm just wondering if this is something people have come across before and if I should make a backup plan. I've looked for high pressure inlet pipes but they all seem to have the same pressure/temp ratings.

No new plumbing work carried out recently, though the washing machine is new and we had to replace the washing machine tap/valve as the old one was stuck. The stopcock is in an awkward location so they closed off the water from the street, if anything the pressure is slightly lower now.

Riley: Yes, we replaced the old valve with one of those. The leak was at the other end though.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
You need a mcalpine V33WM, the site won't let...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes, I have this as well. I called a plumber...
Replies
Views
Pritesh Patel
P
K
  • Question
Thank you, I'll get one
Replies
Views
Katie123
K
  • Question
I would of clipped the pipework but it is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Washing machine hoses sometimes have filters...
Replies
Views
Back