Washing machine no hot supply | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Washing machine no hot supply in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got an old washing machine that has a hot and cold inlet on the back. The house we're moving to has only got a cold supply. Can I just connect the cold up and blank the hot on the machine or do both inlets need a water supply?

Both would need a supply - its pretty easy to ad a hot feed for the washing machine or if you have a spare few quid treat yourself to brand spanking new washingmachine that has only a cold feed

You can get a y shape fitting that goes on the cold feed and both hoses on the washer connect to it simple to fit

sent from my annoying box

-1 for the cold splitter... through personal experience, it don't think it cleans your clothes as well as it should.

Or it may have been something to do with using conditioner instead of detergents, the month I fitted it. Changed to hot feed, detergent and conditioner all at about the same time. (I'd picked wrong tub up in ASDA)

Last edited by a moderator:
the reason we only have cold fill now is most washes are done at 30 or 40 degrees which is less then the average water temp of hot supplies

As I understand it, it is due to the lowering of the water usage more than the temp, if they had a hot connection now, by the time the hot water arrived at the machine from either combi or cylinder, the machine is full, it still has to heat the cold water that has gone in to the required temp & you have paid for the hot water now in the pipework which has not been used. Better to heat cold, in the machine, in the first place !!

Don't get too frugal , treat wash machine to a nice Hot wash once in a while , to rid it of Undissolved wash powder (or modern Slime ! )

Bring back my hot feed (as I don't have Economy 7 any more )

--Just making excuses to save a few pence on parts -- We pay extra cost

Unless a washing machine is right next to the hot water cylinder I've always plumbed them cold feed only. As Chris said above on a hot wash the machine will draw the cold water out of the hot pipe where it will sit and cool down before the next lot of hot is called for. You end up paying to heat the water twice so cold fill is more economical.

Some good points there, especially about the time it takes for the hot water to actually reach the machine.

The machine is under extended warranty until January so I'll run it with the y piece until then before buying a new one.

On a slightly different topic, what are good brands of machine or are they all pretty under-engineered?

Bosch are generally good, most are the same but with different badges to be honest

sent from my annoying box

I would go with Mike's - Miele, that's what you find in a lot of posh houses & they don't spend unless they are good, I couldn't afford one, not on plumbers wages but one can always dream can't one.

Nice cheap reliable manual washing machine from the days when doing a washing kept you fit. Eco friendy too :smile:

Attachments

• washboard.jpg
    washboard.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 25
The days of Skiffle, one string box bass a washboard and a fiddle.
Very nice!

I can play the comb and paper but i haven't had a comb since that wash and go came out.

The American style washing machines (Maytag etc) all still require hot feeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi Mike, this is where our washing machine is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
When speedfit came out they one made that type...
Replies
Views
Hello where are you located ?
Replies
Views
  • Question
You need a mcalpine V33WM, the site won't let...
Replies
Views
  • Question
If you go and put your hose in the top like...
Replies
Views
Back