Washing Machine sounds like its exploding! | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Washing Machine sounds like its exploding! in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumbingit

Hi all,
I am new to the Forum. As the woman of the house, I do the DIY and the husband does the domestic stuff. While I have attempted most things, plumbing is one area that eludes me - I leave it to the professionals!

However, now I am seeking a bit of advice before I call the professionals in. The washing machine sounds ferocious when it running. There is a range of sounds, quite scary, like it is going to explode.

The noise isn't continuous, but it is there. It is four years old.

The machine works, apart from this sound. The question is what is this sound about? Has it come to the end of its life, should I be getting a new one or is it worth repairing this one?

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Could be a number of things. First of all I'd check nothing was caught anywhere - wire from bras, coins buttons etc can get caught in amazing places!

If this doesn't help then it might be the bearings.

yes check for debris inside and if its clear you will need to pull it out and inspect filters etc

It helps to know what it is doing when it makes strange noises, ie is it filling with water? spinning, pumping to drain?

i once had one where the concrete balast had come loose on the top of the drum that was rocking and knocking! do a basic check on the bearings, open the door give the drum a good pull and see if it moves up and down left and right on the bearings,, give it a spin see if it makes any noise..

Candy have had problems with their Grand 'O' range actually exploding!The drum comes loose during a fast spin and goes right through the top,even through the worktop,demolishing the kitchen.It must be like having a Tazmanian Devil in the house!Scary pics on the net.

[video=youtube;N2ABAhIH_zY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2ABAhIH_zY[/video]

open the door, spin the drum by hand if it sounds loud or grinding then the bearings are shot, depending on make and model you mite be able to replace them..

Has it recently been moved? Some machines have transfer bolts that go in the back when you move it. One of those hasn't been left in, has it? Also, make sure the machine is dead level and all the feet are touching a solid base.

Wouldnt even bother looking at it bin it and buy recon one for £70 thats what i have done , reconditioned ones are dirt cheap.

true gaspastemania as we recon loads of machines and sell them from 50 - 120 each

Thank you all for your suggestions,
The machine is silent when it fills up and the moment it starts going round, the squelching starts. The thunderous sound begins when it is spinning fast.

I did push the drum in all directions and it seemed to be working fine. However, when I spin it around it does make a grating noise.

I wouldn't know how to open it out to inspect the filters or bearing. Where would I be able to find good quality recon machines?

Cheers!

Thank you all for your suggestions,The machine is silent when it fills up and the moment it starts going round, the squelching starts. The thunderous sound begins when it is spinning fast.

I did push the drum in all directions and it seemed to be working fine. However, when I spin it around it does make a grating noise.

I wouldn't know how to open it out to inspect the filters or bearing.  Where would I be able to find good quality recon machines?

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
make and model we be able to tell you if bearings can be replaced

Sorry I'm well out of your area but maybe one of the others can help you out with a recon machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

J
https://imgur.io/a/ERxWTCA No water in the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks, that's what I'm hoping for. The main...
Replies
Views
  • Question
To add to this, ensure the discharge hose...
Replies
Views
  • Suggestion
You will not have room behind an integrated...
Replies
Views
Just ask away thats what do here...give the...
Replies
Views
Back