Washing machine tap query | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Washing machine tap query in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

I’ve got a hot and cold supply in a laundry cupboard. I’m moving the washing machine out and want to install a wash hand basin in the room. Can I utilise the existing washing machine taps and simply fit the flexi tails to them? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• B3F5738B-BEF6-409E-82B9-B13210839D63.jpeg
    B3F5738B-BEF6-409E-82B9-B13210839D63.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 31
Yes you can use them, they are as good a service valve as any. However the washing machine connection will be 3/4" whereas your taps will certainly not be. They will likely be either 1/2" connections or less commonly 3/8". They may also need to connect directly to a piece of 15mm copper rather than a valve's thread. It depends upon which tap you buy.

So, if you have a tap with tails with a half inch female connection, you will need to adapt the washing machine taps with a 3/4" female to 1/2" male connection. That would be the simplest way. Likewise, any other tail connection sizes would need to be adapted with the appropriate connector.

At some point it becomes best to just change the valves. If you can't or don't want to then yes you can adapt them.
[automerge]1586698699[/automerge]
As it's just feeding a wash hand basin, you could adapt the washing machine valves with these (see my link below). I know it's called a shower flow limiter but it's actually what you need! You would be able to attach a 1/2" female tap tail to that as it has a good flat face to seal against. 10 lpm is plenty flowrate for a basin.

Last edited:
Yes you can use them, they are as good a service valve as any. However the washing machine connection will be 3/4" whereas your taps will certainly not be. They will likely be either 1/2" connections or less commonly 3/8". They may also need to connect directly to a piece of 15mm copper rather than a valve's thread. It depends upon which tap you buy.

So, if you have a tap with tails with a half inch female connection, you will need to adapt the washing machine taps with a 3/4" female to 1/2" male connection. That would be the simplest way. Likewise, any other tail connection sizes would need to be adapted with the appropriate connector.

At some point it becomes best to just change the valves. If you can't or don't want to then yes you can adapt them.

Thanks!

[automerge]1586698699[/automerge]
As it's just feeding a wash hand basin, you could adapt the washing machine valves with these.

Thanks that’s useful to know. Like you say, I may just change them but wanted to keep my options open

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
You need a mcalpine V33WM, the site won't let...
Replies
Views
  • Question
When speedfit came out they one made that type...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks again Shaun, much appreciated
Replies
Views
  • Question
I would of clipped the pipework but it is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Mike, this is where our washing machine is...
Replies
Views
Back