Water doesn't fill under cistern lid | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water doesn't fill under cistern lid in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hey lads,

Trying to fix a toilet for a lady friend (to make a good impression, you know) but having a hard time. It doesn't flush, and the only it does is when I use the hose from the shower and fill up the tank with water. Once it gets to a certain point, it flushes okay, but obviously it isn't practical to keep doing this when she wants to use it!

I've compared it to another toilet in her house, and the water level is around the same on both, only this one doesn't flush.

Any help is so hugely appreciated.

Got a piccy

This was taken right after a flush:

246vup0.png

Bit with the green top will need removing entirely. Flip it over and there will likely be shreds of a plastic diaphragm either replace the diaphragm or replace the whole siphon, as si above says make it A two part one so you don’t have to dismantle the whole toilet again in the future

Right so there's been a development. I can't get the green lid off. I don't even know how it comes off. But I flushed it again, by the same process of filling it up with shower water, but this time I watched the water get syphoned out and there's a lot of white residue when it's completely empty. It looks and feels like wet ravioli, but white. Is there any chance removing some of this will fix the problem?

To remove that syphon you first have to remove the entire cistern (if it is tight down to pan - ‘close coupled’ type).
That means turning water off and disconnecting the nut below cistern to the fill valve and also nut to overflow.
Then under the pan at cistern you have 2 wing nuts to remove which often are rusted solid.
Also screws holding cistern to wall need removed and often idiots use rusting steel screws, so that is fun.
With cistern off, you can remove syphon large nut below and remove syphon. New syphon might not suit the length of wire link to handle, so beware.
You need new dome rubber washer between pan & cistern and perhaps washer for to fill valve (from copper pipe).
Risks are you could break the cistern, or leave leaks.
And customers often say it is just a wee job.
Personally I would advise getting a plumber.
Look after your lady in ways you are expert in. ;)

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I have found that aftermarket diaphragms are...
Replies
Views
Coops67
C
  • Question
Also I don't think he'll be able to get a bit...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for your advice I will get up into...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You might find it just needs a bit of use
Replies
Views
  • Question
Before doing this, check the level in the cold...
Replies
Views
Back