water entering boiler through horizontal flue | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss water entering boiler through horizontal flue in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joshing

Hi first ever question really confused so seeking advice had a vaillant eco 28 condensing boiler fitted on 21/6/10 all fine untill this morning got up and water pouring from bottom of boiler down walls into room below engineer arrived and when we turned mains back on there was no leak so he then removed cover and found water in fan and round burner tells me the water had to have come in through the horizontal flue i respect the engineers professional diagnosis but i cant understand how it is possible for this quantity to get in through a small pipe fitted on end terraced gable weather was severe rain and gail force winds last night. Can anyone let me know if they have come across this before and how i should expect the installers to correct it so that it dosent occur again.
thanks for taking the time to respond J.W.

The flues on condensing boilers have to run back to the boiler to allow the condensate do drain back. Unfortunately this also means the air tube runs back too and in heavy driving rain water will run down the air tube into the inside of the boiler. It is not an installation fault more a design fault which all the manu's are aware of yet can do nothing about.

If the flue went Vertically through the roof the problem would be solved, but may not be practical but then that might depending how often you get driving rain...

I had this with a Customer once. He phoned and said the boiler was not working. We went to have a look and found the boiler to be flooded and a fried PCB. After asking a few more questions it transpired that he had been watering the roses with a hose and may have got "a little close to the flue". What he really meant was that he wasn't looking what he was doing, water from the hose went straight down the air path and knackered the PCB. The boiler was an Intergas and luckily they covered a new PCB even though they knew it was not their product at fault.
At the end of the day water can sometimes get down the air path of a balanced flue.

Hi first ever question really confused so seeking advice had a vaillant eco 28 condensing boiler fitted on 21/6/10 all fine untill this morning got up and water pouring from bottom of boiler down walls into room below engineer arrived and when we turned mains back on there was no leak so he then removed cover and found water in fan and round burner tells me the water had to have come in through the horizontal flue i respect the engineers professional diagnosis but i cant understand how it is possible for this quantity to get in through a small pipe fitted on end terraced gable weather was severe rain and gail force winds last night. Can anyone let me know if they have come across this before and how i should expect the installers to correct it so that it dosent occur again.
thanks for taking the time to respond J.W.

The flue on that boiler is non-concentric so it is possible that the air intake can be installed level and the flue duct inside will still have the correct rise to outside. Ask the engineer to install it correctly. It is possible ( if you are careful) to have a slight fall on the air intake and still maintain a rising flu exhaust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

It seems to be a case of having to watch and...
Replies
Views
Thank you for the reply, plumber attended...
Replies
Views
In principle it's should not drip but in...
Replies
Views
J
A gas engineer with respect and quality will...
Replies
Views
Mark Butler
M
I wouldn't say its rain causing this you need...
Replies
Views
Back