Water Flow dramatically changed taps full of blue plastic HELP | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water Flow dramatically changed taps full of blue plastic HELP in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hi,

Home had VERY low water pressure or flow before.

Had a pipe or joint burst where our feed comes into the house, via old iron pipework. We got someone out to fix it.
They found a rubber washer jammed inside a plastic joint where the iron or lead pipe from outside met the copper pipes below the sink.
They replaced the plastic joint, so now with nothing jammed inside. The water now rushes out at 1000 mph. residue in all sinks/bath etc. The kitchen sink now has tiny blue plastic sticks gathering in its filter. The same stuff came out in the bath, little shards of blue plastic.
The plumber said not to worry about massive increase in flow as he said it was 'flow' not 'pressure'. And that the system would hold.
Is this true? What is the blue stuff! The flow really is too strong.
Should I do anything!

Thanks in advance
Sam

The pressure with the taps shut will be the same, but now you don't have a restriction, so the difference is that the pressure is not dropping massively as soon as you open a tap. I wouldn't worry as it sounds like more of a nuisance than a problem. You can always get a pressure reducing valve fitted if you dislike the current state of play.
The blue plastic bits sound weird! Are you sure it's not oxidised copper? Only blue plastic I can think of would be in water supply pipe, but you state yours is iron or lead...

Hi,

Home had VERY low water pressure or flow before.

Had a pipe or joint burst where our feed comes into the house, via old iron pipework. We got someone out to fix it.
They found a rubber washer jammed inside a plastic joint where the iron or lead pipe from outside met the copper pipes below the sink.
They replaced the plastic joint, so now with nothing jammed inside. The water now rushes out at 1000 mph. residue in all sinks/bath etc. The kitchen sink now has tiny blue plastic sticks gathering in its filter. The same stuff came out in the bath, little shards of blue plastic.
The plumber said not to worry about massive increase in flow as he said it was 'flow' not 'pressure'. And that the system would hold.
Is this true? What is the blue stuff! The flow really is too strong.
Should I do anything!

Thanks in advance
Sam
Would put a pressure reducing valve where the main enters the property, not sure on the blue debris maybe try flushing the system by running the taps for a wee while. Is it just the cold taps with the blue stuff ?

The kitchen sink now has tiny blue plastic sticks gathering in its filter. The same stuff came out in the bath, little shards of blue plastic.

What is the blue stuff!

Sounds like the local water company or their contractor is replacing the mains in your street and their apprentice is bored and is dropping handfuls of MDPE shavings into the 4" main before they make the electrofusion joints. :D

Filter, y-type, with full bore isolating valves each side, then a pressure reducing valve, then your double check valve. Wouldn't want to drink any more plasticthan we alreafy are. And it could play havov with yoir shower, toilet roll valves rtf.
Check the filter now and then until sure water is clear . Not unknown after contractors have worked on mains. Send a sample to your water supplier. They will sometimes compensate.

Filter, y-type, with full bore isolating valves each side, then a pressure reducing valve, then your double check valve. Wouldn't want to drink any more plasticthan we alreafy are. And it could play havov with yoir shower, toilet roll valves rtf.
Check the filter now and then until sure water is clear . Not unknown after contractors have worked on mains. Send a sample to your water supplier. They will sometimes compensate.
What!!! You trying to scare someone after 2 months :eek:

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Sounds to me that the 15mm pipe that you are...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
  • Question
You've fecked up, it's not the way to do it...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I figured I should let you guys know in case...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks Knappers. Yes, good point - definitely...
Replies
Views
  • Question
1. They are washing machine isolation valves...
Replies
Views
Back