Water from top overflow on grant boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water from top overflow on grant boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cbs

I am an oftec trained engineer. I was at a call out this evening and have to fix the boiler in the morning. There is water coming from the top over flow on the boiler it is a relativley now grant I am unsure of the exect model. Any Ideas? I am replacing the Expansion vessel was it is Corroded and water is leaking down onto the burner. I was thinking that the expansion vessel is causing the pressure in the water jacket to rise and the water to flow out of the overflow?

Whats the top overflow? Or do you mean the pressure relief discharge pipework? Your lack of descriptive knowledge leads me to tell you to get somebody in that knows what they are doing.

Yea thats what I mean. Want to see If I can repair it it not I will get someone else to do the job? Am i thinking along the right lines? or is it the pressure release valve it's self that needs replacing?

I assume you mean the automatic air vent (AAV) - I change them alot on the Grants, dont know why. If you can change the expansion vessel, you can change that too. Just the brass bit on top comes off and has an o ring to seal it. Clean the old guff off first with a wire brush before removig it.

VBS61__52627_zoom.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks. Is it a difficult job replacing the vessel. I am relativley new to this work I am confidant and compitant in most repairs, just I have never came across this problem before now

if your oftec trained and regularly work on boilers what you have just described doesnt add up imho. Unless you have recently done the oftec tick box exams and now letting yourself loose on customers, in which case I would advice you to try and gain experience working with someone before charging your customers to learn on the job as its not the best way to do things really. In regard to your issue its really common and you should be checking the exln vessel pressure charge before considering replacing it as it may just need air in it!

In fairness to cbs, there are a number of service engineers around here and most dont do any wet stuff, as Ive said before, one or two only service the BURNER, not the boiler or any part thereof. None of the training I ever did covered wet stuff, that came form experience and help. So, asking is a good place to start. List your OFTEC details so we know your serious and we can go from there.

In fairness to cbs, there are a number of service engineers around here and most dont do any wet stuff, as Ive said before, one or two only service the BURNER, not the boiler or any part thereof. None of the training I ever did covered wet stuff, that came form experience and help. So, asking is a good place to start. List your OFTEC details so we know your serious and we can go from there.

I just dont see how you can offer a boiler service to people if you dont understand how the whole system works and be able to check motorised valves, programmers, expn vessels etc when you are at a customers property. Its like saying i service cars but I only do the engine side, someone else needs to check the brakes and clutch!

I hear you brother, but that's the way it is. I guess it depends on your trade background and how you arrived at servicing.

There was a bloke round our way. Servicing boilers but couldn't repair them. He didn't last long. He'd done a manufacturers course.

TBH some of the questions you are asking are on pretty basic stuff. I would seriously question whether you should be working on boilers until you have gained sufficient experience.

If you don't know what you are doing, leave it to someone who does!

Last edited:
cbs has gone quiet..... maybe it was the request for his oftec no.!!!! i had a guy phone me up who had done an oftec course and he was telling me about the really clever way he had repaired an access door gasket...... he had replaced the old cerraboard with 18mm ply.:59:.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Expansion vessel undersized, blocked flexi to...
Replies
Views
Will try to upload pic again
Replies
Views
You need a new service engineer not a new...
Replies
Views
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
Afraid that looks terminal certainly won't...
Replies
Views
Back