Water Hammer & Bathroom fittings squealing when toilet is flushed | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water Hammer & Bathroom fittings squealing when toilet is flushed in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

I've been experiencing water hammer within the house for a couple of months now, which rattles the pipes whenever turning off a tap or an appliance cuts off its supply. I have turned the stop tap off while turning on all taps allowing the system to aerate which fixes the issue for a day or so before it returns.
I have also noted that when the hammer occurs an additional issue rears its head: The toilet system will have a constant overflow of water (a bare trickle) and when I flush the toilet the sink & shower head will begin to squeek and sometimes water is pushed out through the shower head. The process of how to reproduce the issue is as follows:

Toilet flush > Turn on bathroom sink which will then squeek > this will then have a large squeek from the shower head and water will be pushed out of the shower head. See attached video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhWLLbE6lqw

Cheers in advance

Update: forgot to mention, previously suggested that it could be the inlet valve. I reduced the input as well as attempted to clean out any grit within the cistern but this doesnt seem to have solved the problem.
Unsure if this has any relevance, I added a dishwasher to the kitchen when we moved in and attached this to the only available water pipe which was hot. Could this effect the system as a whole?
With regards to the water hammer, the shock can be heard travelling upstairs to the boiler. Is this all a pressure thing?

ta

Last edited:
Sounds like it’s your inlet valve, especially with it overflowing. Renew washer internally or renew inlet valve. The water coming from shower head might be a failed on/off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Similar plumbing topics

Probably your main stopcock is not fitted the...
Replies
Views
You have a partial blockage downstream of the...
Replies
Views
The mains water is now feeding everything in...
Replies
Views
What sort of fill valve is fitted to your...
Replies
Views
I would cut it to the right size and glue the...
Replies
Views
Back