Water hammer noise back again after 2 plumber visits.... | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water hammer noise back again after 2 plumber visits.... in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Had a rumbling noise from attic and first plumber said it was my ball valve float in my cold water tank, he adjusted the float and said it went wonky and then left promptly.

Noises started again 3 weeks after as well as a minor leak from pipe going into cold water tank !
2nd plumber much better he replaced the entire ball valve and said no idea why the first guy didn't just do that.

3 days of bliss and hammer noises once again today.

Here is the video you should be able to hear the noise:

Download video - VideoBam

The rumbling noise sounded like it was coming directly from the 3 day old ball valve part, the on/off tap valve that is next to the cold water tank was vibrating so much that when I put just a finger on it the noise stopped ?

Picture of complete ball valve + blue float:
http://oi59.tinypic.com/2r7acy0.jpg

Picture of pipe leading into cold water tank where previous leak was occurring (but now fixed and not leaking)
http://oi61.tinypic.com/2wghumb.jpg

Now not sure if above 2 pics look good or bad?

While the rumbling noise was coming I turned the on/off tap valve slightly bit more looser and noise stopped so have left it for now, do you think there is a washer on the pipes or the ball float is bad? its the only things not replaced I can think off !

Any suggestions again thanks!

Last edited:
Is it a stopcock isolator? If so jumper is vibrating.

Not sure what that is exactly is that the tap that shuts the water on and off like this ?

http://oi60.tinypic.com/majouh.jpg

All I have is a cold water tank with I think type 2 ball valve and a gold colour on/off tap next to the tank.

I noticed this on/off tap was vibrating much but when I put just a finger on it it fixes the hammer noise 100%. I was almost tempted to tie some string to it to the wood piece seems just by touching it lightly it stops all the noise.

I thought it was ratting coming from the hot water pipe that is close by but no water or anything was coming from there.

Id think its that stop valve. Your plumber should come back if the noise is still there. So far they havent actually fixed any thing. Id change the stop valve and check the correct orifice is in the fill valve for the pressure.

Thanks mc bob I think that maybe it not sure myself but I may advise that to the plumber of what you mentioned hes due later today in the afternoon see how it goes !

I have switched off that tap for now till he gets here.

Not sure of the part number I think for now ill not go up there since the plumber could turn up anytime. Yoghurt pot sounds interesting but I do have that blue ball float on the end guess could try it next time if the issue exist.

I have checked if other pipes are causing the issue by trying to hold them down further away from the ball valve and tank but the noise still appears sadly. The noise seems to be coming from directly from the replaced ball valve and it causes that on/off tap near by to shake and vibrate very fast rest of the pipes further down not so much.

I think after plumbers tried perhaps 3rd times a charm I may ask him If i can test its ok since if I run the cold water taps all downstairs the noise comes on pretty fast 2-3 minutes so at least that is a test to see after the fix !

I just checked the last engineer notes he said under repair section:
Part II FOV + Fibre Washer. recommended to laggling of vent pipe away from fov needs slight curve. Lagg pipes.

I don't think the pipes really need lagging they been fine for 30 years and the hammer noise does not seem to come about those pipes noise is coming from that part II device and around the on/off tap from what I can hear.

Will let you know what the plummer says !

Ok well plumber/home emergency guy came but he said its not his job to do this type of service and would require another plumber since its chargeable service. Looks like this insurance is pants.

Anyhow he said directly your cold water tank is plastic and is missing a "Vibration plate"
so it requires one since its plastic, also he mentioned the pipe work requires clipping down/securing with 15mm clips around the loft. He explained this was the case since I told him if I put a finger on the on/off tap it stops the noise.

I am unsure if the above is accurate or true so require real plumbers inputs please!

If it is i was thinking of trying it myself get a vibration plate+ some 15mm clips also perhaps I could just get a complete new on/off tap part also just noticed a im looking for a plumber section perhaps post job up there?

Last edited:
Well I decided rather then buy a vibration plate and do lagging I would check it out myself so had a good check turned out the plumber did not install the new valve correctly he left the bolt on the other end loose.

I held the valve firmly and tightened it up on the other loose side that bolt went I would say almost 60-70% turn. Its nice and firm and I don't want to over tight it.

No water hammer noise for whole week, good riddance!

thanks to all advise guess this one was a simple fix shame the 3 plummer visits could not resolve it though!

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I would of clipped the pipework but it is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Did you ever find out what the issue was?
Replies
Views
  • Question
Having thought about it i'm sure there is a...
Replies
Views
Sounds like you have found a blockage, if so...
Replies
Views
RobinA
R
Back