Water hammer noise from various appliances/taps around the house. | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water hammer noise from various appliances/taps around the house. in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

A bit of background...house was built in 2000. Fitted with screw turn style taps, and washing appliances as new.

During our time here, improvements have been made to the house, but these improvements have caused banging issues. The first was the washing machine when stopping water flowing in. To help the issue I have two stopcock valves in the kitchen. One is located as the water pipe comes in, and the other after the water meter, about 40 cm's later. To improve the banging noise I turned down the second stopcock to reduce the flow into the house.

Since then a new toilet has been added to the upstairs toilet. This started the banging problem again, so I adjusted the stopcock again. This has worked to a degree, but the water flow into the house is now very poor. In other words don't bother running a shower if the toilet is being flushed etc.

In-between these times some of the taps were replaced and can now be quickly closed, again giving the banging noise effect at times. I can happily close them slowly, but the wife forgets!

Anyway, enough is enough and I want a better solution to this problem. So, am I looking at a pressure reducing valve to be added after one of the stop cocks, or/and do some water hammer arrestors need to be strategically added to the system?

Can anyone help with the information I have supplied?

Many thanks

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I would of clipped the pipework but it is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A competent plumber will have the kit and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the tip. I have an outside tap so...
Replies
Views
Probably your main stopcock is not fitted the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My water pressure is around 5 bar and I've...
Replies
Views
Back