Water Hammer | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
Guest viewing is limited

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water Hammer in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Newby to the forum
Just had new GCH system installed in my bungalow - much warmer now. BUT have noticed new water hammer double slam every time the boiler shuts off the cold or taps are turned off sharply - I am told high pressure may be the cause - odd since there was no WH previosly. I have checked the water rate (roughly) at 15- 17 litres a minute and read up on water hammer arrestors (£30 ish from Plub Center etc ) -
2 Qs : 1. are they any good and 2. where best to site the beast?
many thanks for reading

Last edited:
If you have a new Wocester boiler they advise fitting a Shock arrestor if you have high water pressure also good idea to fit a pressure reduceing valve, some of the plastic parts in new boilers dont like it, have a look in installation book it will tell you , you need to call back your installer.

Hi thanks
I have contacted them previously and am in contact later this week - need ammuntion
The boiler is Dimplex combi 30 . the installation manual (online) does not mention water hammer only this
3. When the domestic water system includes any device whichprevents water expanding back towards the supply (checkvalve, loose jumpered stopcock, water meter, water treatmentdevice) then an expansion vessel must be fitted (e.g. Zilmet160ml, R​
1/2 15bar).A single check valve must be fitted as shown in Fig. 10 toprevent backflow to the supply pipe and to ensure the efficientoperation of the expansion vessel which is required toaccommodate the thermal expansion of the water.If the hot water expansion is not provided for, then highpressures can develop which may result in damage to fittings
and devices on the system.

not relevant i expect

They are on about an expansion tank what you want is a schock arrestor about the size of a tennis ball fits just under boiler on cold water pipe (Mains) into boiler, did they not leave you the installation book / benchmark (log book) witch must be filled in on compleation of installation.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I would of clipped the pipework but it is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Did you ever find out what the issue was?
Replies
Views
  • Question
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Agreed bud but if hes got 13 litres a minute...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Update: Removed the shock arrestor from the...
Replies
Views
Back