Water in oil tanks | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water in oil tanks in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPH

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
What's the easiest way to remove said nuisance?

looking about 50-75mm in the bottom of a 1000 litre tank.

george, vacuum it out then an oil tank drier to mop up the residue

Like he says, vacuum pump from HWOS attached to something long and straight, 10mm copper maybe?
Then a tank dryer from HWOS for the residue.

Length of 15mm copper, hose pipe and some clear containers. Keep syphoning until it turns yellow. Don't forget to dispose of the water correctly as it's contaminated.

I just syphon the water out, obviously providing the tank is higher than the position I am syphoning it to.
I run it into drums, although if you are careful to keep the hose at lowest part of tank, then it will just be water.
Trick is getting it started.
Firstly i better say nobody should risk getting oil near their mouth, so never attempt to start a syphon other than by a pump or other means!
I just use a few feet of pipe onto a hose for the tank fill the hose with water & with the lowest end sealed, lower it & unseal it.
Can remove nearly all the water while leaving the oil in the tank.

Last edited:
george saves you getting carcanogenic fluids in your gob, and is easier imho

Absolutely! That is why I said I fill a hose with water to start a syphon from an oil tank.
I should have also said NEVER risk in any way getting oil near your mouth.
Will edit my post.

6 further posts to cover what i said in post 2 :) ( theres a few smug gits on here :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there should be a drain off valve on the bottom of the tank as all the water will be at the bottom of the tank if not you can get a small drill powered pump safe with gas oil or diesel that you can use from machine mart use this with a length of micro bore copper tube to the bottom of the tank to pump the water out. Good luck this will work.

smug is right only petrol is a carcenogin not gas oil who would have thought it

smug is right only petrol is a carcenogin not gas oil who would have thought it

I would never have thought that Kerosine was not carcinogenic!
I googled Kerosine & see it is still can cause death, serious damage to lungs & obviously also cause dermatitis.
So still better avoid any contact with it, especially your mouth & lungs.

Its normally the POCs of the oils that are nasty.

Back onto the subject, I have built myself a rig using a transfer pump and lance made from 22mm copper which I extract the debris and water from the bottom of tanks with rather like a vacuum cleaner. I have built a separator out of an old F&E cistern which works like a kitchen fat separator and puts the good kerosene back into the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
What the easiest way to find why my boiler is...
Replies
Views
Will try to upload pic again
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
Back