Water in two toilets turning brown - Help | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water in two toilets turning brown - Help in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nigel

Hi all,

We have two toilets upstairs one in bathroom and one in adjacent ensuite - they are about 3 m apart and both empty into same horizontal soil pipe - the down stream toilet is about half metre from stack where shared soil pipe discharges

Water in toilet pans turns brown even when not being used - is it sludge in soil pipe seeping back in as there is no fall - both loos are on same floor level

Is it OK under building regs to fit loos like this? House was built 10 years ago by big builder

Any thoughts gratefully received - Thanks all N

In the situation you are describing, water will be back-flowing to WC due to no fall or (worse) a rise from the WC. Sadly in newer houses it's fairly common to see this. People fitting paid peanuts by the builders and having to rush the work to make any money.

2 WCs on the same horizontal branch is fine as long as falls are correct. Current regulations allow up to 8 WCs to be connected on one branch pipe. The correct fall is 18-90mm per metre so a fairly substantial fall is required.

Last edited:
The only time I have seen water turning the pans dirty & brown was from a rain water harvest system!

I've seen it before but the toilets were back to back and one of them was plumbed up with the branch pipe running uphill from the toilet.

Found out the hard way when I removed the toilet from the wall. As it was a back to wall toilet I couldn't really see the slight slope until I removed it..

Wasn't one of my nicer days in the job that one!

Try some of this
dom.jpg

Highly unlikely to be drainage related but get a pro in for an on the job opinion. Might cost a bit more than the domestos tho :smile:

All to common in the bash it and crash it days we live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Cheers oz-plumber, good advice. I've ordered...
Replies
Views
B
I have a similar problem but the waste goes...
Replies
Views
FK Toilet
F
Got it. Thank you for the reply.
Replies
Views
It doesn’t look like the internal pipe has...
Replies
Views
N
No blockage in soil pipe? Was he a plumber or...
Replies
Views
Back