Water main shut off query | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water main shut off query in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

S

Spark Guard

hi

I live in a 5 storey ex-council block. the apartment's water mains is leaking and the pipework is too short to freeze. access the manifold for the floor would require scaffolding. so, it looks like I need to shut of the water to the building for a few minutes while we swap my apartment's main tap for a new one. I have a plumber is happy and ready to do this

the managing agent will sent out letters to all the apartments but says I need to arrange to switch off the water mains myself. the water main is a conventional tap, much like a brass garden tap but, it is about 40mm diameter on the horizontal section where the shut off tool would need to grab it and about 600mm down in a 150mm square hole. I've tried to paste an image below, but, it is not super clear:

tap.jpg

the tap looks kind of like this but it is big: https://2ecffd01e1ab3e9383f0-07db7b...x800/a0001bbd-7b05-4a59-83cb-137f48dc7ac9.jpg

I can't find a water mains tap to shut it off- the biggest I can get would fit a tap with a diameter of about 25mm and I need about 40mm plus

thanks in advance

One of these;

stopcock Key 1m - Toolstation

The plumber should have one.

If the tap top is truly 40mm diameter just spread the fork on the stop tap key.

If it's the Water supplier cutting the water off, they are obliged to notify.
If it's a trades person cutting it off, it would be courtesy to warn.

If it's your own property, just shut the water off and get it done.
It'll be back on before anyone realises.

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Did you leave it an hour to heat up ?
Replies
Views
  • Question
Wow, it sounds like you had quite an...
Replies
Views
  • Question
That's not what I meant. Are the hot and cold...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I would of clipped the pipework but it is...
Replies
Views
Back